Monday, March 10, 2008

Youth Conference!

I am very lucky to be able to serve with the youth at church. For an hour each Sunday, I surround myself with 6 16-18 year old girls- and I cannot wait to see them again Tuesday nights for another hour. These girls are so much fun and they love Jenna. During my lessons the baby just sits and plays on the floor in front of me, all the while trying not to distract too much from my lesson. (This past Sunday Jenna was tooting the entire time- which made us all laugh!) Saturday was a special day for the youth in our area- Youth Conference- Which means a whole day to be spiritually feed! Most teenagers would not even consider spending 8 hours at church on a Saturday- but my girls were there with 'bells on'. It was fantastic! We did some crafts and had amazing lessons. The lesson I have not been able to stop thinking about was titled 'The Divine Calling of Motherhood'. The class was just what it sounds like- three mom's talking about how amazing it is to be a mom. One mom, a mother of six kids under 9, shared a story about how she knows that she is teaching her children right because they love each other. The other mom shared stories of fertility problems, and the challenges of being a working mom. The last sister shared her story of losing a baby 4 hours after he was born- which did not leave a dry eye in the room. (She had another child almost exactly one year later.) The challenges and joys of being a mother cannot be fully realized until you hold that baby in your arms! This message rang true to me holding sweet Jenna in my arms. The message that we all hope that the girls left with was to not lose sight of their goals of having an eternal marriage and a family. We want the girls to understand the weight of the calling enough to wait for it until the time is right. We want them to make the decision with their husbands and their Heavenly Father. It led to a great conversation later that day in the car with one of my girls- I love getting that one on one time to really talk to them! David is the love of my life, and I love him so much more for making me Jenna's mom!

1 comment:

Reina said...

I LOVE this post! Thank you so much for it! I too love being a mommy it's what I was born to do.