i can't sleep and so i decided to get out of bed. i often compose blogs in my head and then try to write them down later, so lets hope, for your sake, this one works out.
to understand my emotions right now, i need to take you back to, as the title states, 2004. the year started out great. my roommates and i found a super cute apartment just up the street from ua and we were excited. i broke up with a boyfriend that i didn't like anyways, and was starting my last semester of college. yippee- right? we'll not really. i was terrified to finish school because it opened up the question of 'now what'. i shortly began dating a guy that was 25 months younger than me. normally not a problem, but when you are 21, making him only 19, it is a problem. said boy still needed to go on a mission all while i was getting pretty attached to him. we dated and had a great time, knowing that along with graduation, came the end of 'us'. it happened. graduation. breaking up. heart ache and longing for 2 years to hurry up. the summer after graduation i jumped into busying myself. i was working my second summer as a full time nanny and loving it. i was able to travel with them for the second time to nyc and really enjoyed myself. it was in the natuaral history museum that i said my goodbuys to said missionary on the phone. i was bummed and distracted, but i did begin to really pay attention to my foot. it hurt. it was swollen and my shoes were not fitting very comfortable and i was much more aware of the problems after walking the city, oftening carrying a 4 and a 5 year old. upon returing home i decided to figure a few things out. i need to go back to school (did i really want to be a teacher?) and see a doctor. i did- both. i went to my family doctor in phx one weekend, and after taking x-rays, he sent me to a podiatris that same day. the podiatirs seemed concerned and sent me to an orthopedic oncologist. yeah, scary. the orthopedic oncologist was at the mayo clinic in scottsdale, so i spent alot of time driving back and forth. i needed an mri, ct scan, bonescan, and many consultation for them to decide what it was and what to do. i had a tumor in my foot. osteosacoma. it was a freak incident and they wrote up about my case in a medical journal. weird huh? the orthopedic oncologist wanted to consult a foot specialist about how to get the tumor out of my foot. the foot specialist threated amputation- seriously- before coming back a week later with a better plan. can you imagine being not yet 22 years old and being told that you might lose your foot?! needless to say i was a wreck. i was traveling to and from phx to tucson almost weekly, some time even midweek to meet with drs. surgery was set and it was decided that they would remove the tumor that was surrounding the second and third metatarsal. i would stay in the hospital for three days and be on crutches for 8 weeks. surgery went well. the bones were so covered in tumor that they could not be put back in, so i was left with a big hole in my foot and a cute pink cast. at my follow up appt two weeks post surgery before heading back to tucson, they told me that the tumor was cancerous and it could come back. it was suggested that i follow up with biannual mri scans. fantastic. i went back to tucson and fell many times on crutches. the worst was leaving class one evening to discover that the halls had just been mopped. i must have slipped 3 times in front of nearly my entire class! the cast came off at the end of eight weeks, and i was walking very soon after.
i went for only my second follow up scan early this summer and was terrified of the results. they came back clear, but there has been alot of pain recently. because i am missing bones, and have a hole in my foot, the toes do not look good. i cannot wear open toed shoes, and recently, most shoes cause quite a bit of discomfort. so it starts again. i went to the foot specialist earlier in the month, and he sent me to get xrays. after looking at the xrays, he wants to operate. his plan is to break my toe and remove parts of the bone to correct the bunion that has formed. 6-8 weeks in a walking boot and orthodic shoes after. not fair is all i have to say. orthodic shoes?! bunioun surgery!? these are not words that a 25 year old mother of one should have to say, let alone experience. it just brings to surface all the fears that i had 4 years ago. it's scary and i worry about the future of my foot. is this foot going to hold me up for another 65+ years? is it going to support me through another couple (at least) pregnancies? am i ever going to be able to wear cute shoes again?! aggh.
we went to the temple on saturday and i was just searching for comfort. i need to think of what a blessing it is to have a foot at all. i need to be grateful that the tumor didn't grow in my knee or elbow or spread to other joints.
it is only getting later and i am still not sleeping, but there it is. that is what i cannot stop thinking about. it sucks. thanks for letting me tell the whole story.
p.s. that was the last time i spoke to said missionary. i think he came home from his mission about the same time i married the man of my dreams. :)
9 comments:
Jenna,
I got your post through a google alert I have set up. In 2004, my then 20 yr. old daughter had osteosarcoma in her distal right femur (common site) while a junior in nursing school. The usual treatment is chemo and surgery. I'm wondering why you didn't have chemo. Are you having periodic CT's of your lungs? This is the usual place for OS to spread. There are some things about your situation that don't sound usual. Thankfully, your tumor may have been smaller and started bothering you because it was in your foot. I'm glad that you have not had any recurrence since 2004 -- a great sign. Was there a second opinion on the pathology report? Do you know what subtype OS you had?
I don't want to worry you more, but do want you to have the periodic CT's or at least chest xrays so that if there were something, there would be lots of options.
Ravonda
mom to Tracy
www.acor.org
osteosarcoma mailing list member
I love you - and I'll be there. :)
Heather my dear I know it is hard right now and I want you to know that I am here for you anytime day or night! I had some things happen when I was 18 and again at 25 that I too worried about but just know that Your Heavenly Father love you and if you ask him for support or whatever you need that day he will give it to you.
You have a wonderful husband who also will help out and family (and friends too) I am here for you to vent, cry, yell, laugh whatever you need you let me know. I love you! Please let me know what I can do.
WOW I had no idea that is so crazy. I would be up all night thinking about that too. I really hope that everything turns out OK, I will be thinking of you keep us posted.
Wow! I always knew you had some medical problems with your foot but I didn't know how extensive it was! You are now on my prayer list!
I love you!!! I was there with you in New York, I was there with you at the 1st and 2nd Dr.'s appointments that day and I stayed there with you in the Hospital when you were so outta it you had no idea what was going on! I love you and you know where Ill be if you need me again. Mark drove all over the place so that I could be with you and he would do it again too. I love you so much and I know you will be just fine!!! I love you, I love you, I LOVE YOU!!! You are one of the best sisters I could ever ask for :)
Heather, I too had no idea how extensive your foot problems were. I'm sorry you've had such scary calls and will join the many others who love you in hoping and praying for the best.
When are you going in for surgery? Let's go shoe shopping together and find some cute stuff for you. I am supposed to wear orthotics too and I know that can make it harder but not impossible.
Good luck - I'll call you soon
You are very brave for posting such personal feelings and emotions on your blog. But look at how many people love and support you. My family (and YOU are definitely my family) are always in my prayers, but I'll make sure to mention more specifics now. Keep us in the loop. We love you!
yeah- i kinda just put myself out there huh?! that's not really like me... thanks for your support :)
Post a Comment