Friday, May 8, 2009

Happy Birthday Sweet Adam!



i have the hardest time sleeping in the hospital... so i'll tell adam's birth story. it was a good day.

i woke up just a bit after 4 am yesterday with some wicked strong contractions. i had been having them for the last few nights, but they didn't last more than a couple hours, so i figured i would wait it out. just before 5, it got really bad, and i woke dave up to time them. jenna woke up shortly after with a nightmare, and it didn't take us long to realize we needed to head to the hospital. jenna was really scared seeing me in such pain; she kept saying, 'mommy, sad', and i finally asked dave to take her outta the room.

we were all in the car by 6, headed to grandma's to drop jenna off, and then the hospital. we got to the hospital by 6:15 and were greeted with a not-at-all-helpful-nor-sympathetic desk clerk, who asked a few questions, and pointed to a door down the hall. dave grabbed a near-by wheelchair, and off we went. we got to triage, where the nurse was once again slow to hand me a gown and point me towards the bathroom. i changed, and by the time the nurse examined me, i was at 7-8 cm, and suddenly was being treated like a woman in labor. there were more nurses, and phone calls, and someone said there might not be time for an epidural.

let me emphasize the wicked pain i was already in. with jenna, we got to the hospital when i was at 5, and got the epidural shortly there after, and progressed quickly. i was already at an 8 and was now being told that there might not be time for an epidural! i panicked at the thought of nature child birth. i GREATLY respect those of you that have done it, but i love modern medicine. i love the idea of not feeling the pain... and was already in so much pain, that it was really scary. and it was all happening so fast!

we got to the LDR by 7, and i just kept begging for the anesthesiologist. the nurses kept saying it would be okay, and they had other things to do before they could do an epidural. much to my relief, the anesthesiologist came and delivered the good stuff by 7:30am. the dr was there, and i was at 9-10cm by 8. it was time to push, and my contractions slowed way down. i got a quick shot of pitocin to start things up again, and out HE came at 8:17am. just that quickly- we had our son.

my mom made it from phx by 10:30, and dave's mom brought jenna by around 11. it was a good birthday for our guy. jenna did great during her visit, and kept asking to 'hold him'.

because delivery was so fast, there wasn't time for both my rounds of antibiotics (i was positive for group b strep). adam's blood work came back worrisome yesterday, so after repeat test today, it was determined that he contracted the virus during delivery. while he's showing no symptoms, he still needs 5-7 days of IV antibiotics, in the NICU. which stinks, because i was REALLY looking forward to being home tomorrow morning. say a prayer for our little family. adam will be okay, but it's rough thinking about going home without him.

10 comments:

Stacy said...

Happy Birthday Adam!
Congrats. And I know it is hard to fathom, but a couple months from now his short stay in the NICU will seem like nothing, I can't believe I survived 4 weeks of it.
I am also so happy for your quick delivery! Very exciting :o)

Karen Scott Welker said...

Welcome, welcome baby Adam. We are keeping you (and your parents) in our prayers.

The McLemore's said...

I love you and I already love Adam sooooo much! I can't even imagine how much more I will love him when I actually get to hold him! We will be praying for him! I love you a super bunch! Give Jenna and Adam super bigs hugs for me until we can come visit!!

Leah said...

labor without epidurals = lets's adopt. seriously, why are they so slow to respond to women on their deathbeds?! i'm glad you got one, but it sucks that you had to get that far without! yuck! AND who CAN sleep when they roll you over to poke and prod every time you get settled? boo to hospital stays!
let's hope adam comes home soon and sleeps just like his sister :)

Janelle Savage said...

I was in LKabor with Ethan for about i hour and didn't have time for an epidural. I know your pain and wished that Collin had been that fast it was along night. Give huges and kisses from us and we will keep you in our prayers.

Unknown said...

They come so fast the second time around! You are lucky they were able to get the epi in time... Chad came so fast that the epi didn't kick in until after he was born - an unplanned, unprepared for natural child birth is NOT fun! So sorry you had to go home without your baby... I hope everything goes well from here on out :)

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS! He will be home before you know it. You did awesome. The pics of Jenna holding him and your family are sooo sweet. I'm so happy for you guys!

Susan said...

Welcome baby Adam! I like the name and he's a cutie with just the right amount of hair! I hope he gets to come home soon. Meanwhile you can get some fun BOY stuff for him! So sweet that Jenna loves him already and wants to hold him! Love to you all, we'll be thinking and praying for you!

Kimberlee said...

Congratulations!! We can't wait to meet Adam. He looks like a mini David! What a quick labor, I feel your pain. We hope he gets to come home soon. Love you guys.

Terri and Steve said...

Dear Heather,
I can totally relate to that darn virus. Bethany was born with it, flown to Primary Children's Hospital 9 hours after birth, and I didn't get to see her for 3 days. It was awful. She then had to stay in the hospital 4 more days. I was so relieved to finally get her home. Maybe this rough start made us become so close because I don't know what I'd do without her. Congratulations. I read what you wrote about being a mother and it is THE BEST JOB IN THE WORLD!!!!
Love, Aunt Terri