this is our second batch of our ‘home-made’ laundry soap, and i thought i would share how we do it. i came across this blog post early in the summer and figured i would give it a try. you can get all the supplies at walmart, except the washing soda. it was tricky to find, but after some online searches and phone calls, i discovered that ace hardware carries it. each of these big boxes was about $3-4 and each bar of zote soap is right at $1.
after collecting the supplies, the first step is to grate the soap. it’s not too tricky, but jenna didn’t last long. she insisted on helping even though the bar was to big to move with her little hands. adam even gave it a try. i could grate both bars, without help, in less than one episode of dora the explorer. for some reason, we didn’t finish it all in one day… hmmm… but i did remember to take pictures both times we were working on it.
now the only thing left to do is open the boxes and mix it up. i have a big bucket that use to have costco laundry detergent in it that holds this large batch. the recipe i found said to do three bars of zote, but i only use two, and a little extra oxi clean.
again, it was tricky for the small people to stir, but they both still had to try.
and it’s done! i add about 1/2 cup to each wash. i have had great results with it, and you can’t beat the price… i don’t know what the price is, but i’m sure it WAY less than tide (that stuff, while smelling wonderful, cost a fortune!). maybe i should do some math…
i do still buy laundry detergent when it’s on great sales and i have coupons. it’s nice to alternate every so often.
3 comments:
We had a friend in Katy that made her own liquid laundry detergent. Jason got really excited and insisted I try. It took forever to find the washing soda, which I finally found at Fry's (good to know about Ace, just in case.) I had to go back on line to find the recipe. It stated how much I would save a year by making my own laundry detergent. $40. $40?! That's it? I just shrugged and made it anyway, figuring that we probably do more laundry than he does. Hey, it's the same as a free date or a new board game I could justify, right? Thanks for blogging!
Impressive! I didn't even know you could make your own! I'd be interested in how much the costs compare. Detergent is so expensive so I end up buying cheap stuff but I know I'm sacrificing quality.
I've seen lots of tuts for it online, too, but have never tried it. I've heard mixed reviews about using it in a front loader, though. Plus, I guess I can technically get "in trouble" if we need repairs on our washer and I haven't been using an HE compatible detergent. Whatever. But, yeah, laundry detergent is way too expensive.
Post a Comment