I thought our Jenna was silly when we transitioned her to the big bed, but Adam has won these past few days. I don’t know what made me think to take one side off his crib, but I did it the other day at naptime. I thought since he was super tired it would work. Silly me.
He got up. I put him back. He got up again. I put him back and put the gate up on his door. He did NOT like that. He cried. I told him to lay down. He laid down, and I didn’t hear him cry for a little while. I thought he had finally just given up about the time I heard him crying at the gate. He just kept crying. Jenna fell asleep on the couch with me, so I wiggled free and took him into our bed. He wouldn’t relax! He was just sad about the entire situation. Finally, he fell asleep, just in time for Jenna to wake up and come find us- thus waking us up. Boo.
That night, we made a big deal about his big boy bed and he did great! He got up once but returned after I threatened to put the gate up on his door. When David and I went to bed, he was sound asleep in his big boy bed. Very cute!
We didn’t see young Adam until 2 am. He walked right into our room and started playing with the knob on the humidifier. He didn’t come to either David or I, just stood there turning it off and on. One of us scooped him up and tucked him in his bed. He even slept in until close to 8am!
The following naptime, he also threw a fit. We played the get up, get down game a few times. I threatened with the gate, and he just cried and climbed into bed. And then it was quiet. When I went to check on him 30 minutes later, he wasn’t in his bed. He had snuck out and fallen asleep in the middle of my bed! He was sprawled out and looked incredibly comfortable.
He did the same thing that night- I *thought* he had given up and gone to sleep, but when David and I went up to bed after 10pm, there the little guy was again- sprawled out, sound asleep, in OUR bed. We tucked him in his bed and said good night. Jenna came in just after 1 am, saying that Adam was in her bed. I went in, took him back to his bed and laid down with Jenna. I heard him sneak back into bed with David, and Dave take him back to bed. At 6am, Jenna was on my side asking to cuddle with me, and Adam was sitting in our closet (I guess he knew what would happen if we knew he was up). We tried getting a few more ZZZZ’s with all four of us in bed together, but the kids had another plan. I finally got up and took them downstairs for milk and cartoons {and another half-hour of shut-eye on the couch}.
Any tricks to get him to sleep, and stay, in his own bed? He’s lucky he’s so cute~
5 comments:
Curious as to why you want to make the transition? I say leave him in the crib until he starts to climb out. When we made the transition with Chad it was fairly easy and I think a lot had to do with the fact that he was a little older. Naptime doesn't always happen anymore but bedtime is a breeze.
We moved Sadie when she was about 18 months and it was a lot of what you're dealing with, not fun! In short, my humble opinion is to leave him in the crib as long as possible!
Seriously, what's the rush with a big bed? It sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth. At least, that's the position I'm taking, as my kid's still kicking it in her crib, with a tent even, since she climbs out. Maybe we'll make an attempt in six months or so. Maybe.
I'm thinking the same thing as these ladies, I say crib until it's absolutely necessary to move him out. I'm impressed that you want to make the transition, though. We're still kind of struggling with Preston. He gets up once a night, at different times, just to have us put him back in his bed. I think he does it out of habit and for reassurance, because he goes right back to sleep. And now it looks like he might be giving up his nap (not good!!). Was going to try the gate thing for naptime, but he's such a climber I know he'll get out. I tried locking the door, but he can get out of that too. Hmm... sounds like I don't have any advice, sorry!! All I can say is good luck!!
Okay, I caved. He was such a wreck tonight after a long, busy Saturday that I just put the railing back on. I don't know why I was rushing it- just thinking he was ready... I was wrong. Thanks!
We had to lock Seamus in for a couple weeks. He does fine now, though!
Post a Comment