Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Birth story, the third

Just for starters, 'scheduling' to have a baby is a weird thing. It was very weird calmly walking in and registering and then being lead to your room- kinda like checking into a hotel. As much as I didn't want to have to be induced, it turned out quite nicely.

We tried EVERYTHING to get this girl to come out before the scheduled induction (castor oil anyone?), but alas, we found ourselves at 39 weeks and 3 days- an entire week later than Adam made his swift appearance (but thankfully before Jenna's 2 days late). I really wanted to be induced at the 9-10 day early point, and was convinced that she was on her way- but what do I know? My lovely doctor stood her ground and we scheduled the induction for Wednesday March 21st at 5 am.

I'm sure we've all heard those stories of scheduled inductions that got pushed back the morning of, or inductions that took all day long-- I refused to let these stories get to me. We checked in at 5 am- yikes! I didn't sleep a wink that night before, which is not the best way to start out. I was hooked up to the antibiotics at about 5:45 and told I was still only dilated to 1 cm. UGHH! I would have sworn that I had gained at least a few cm in the last week, but no. All the nurses were fabulous and told me that my doctor had proven techniques and that they would bet I would have my baby just after lunch time. Sounded good to me.

I got the other stuff for thinning my cervix shortly after 6ish, and the doctor broke my water around 9ish (guesstimating on times here). Pitocin and the epidural within the next hour, and we were on our way to progressing. The next round of antibiotics were started just before 10, making us in the clear to have a healthy delivery. Yippee- that lifted a huge weight off David and I.

My parents came in at about 11 and the doctor came in for delivery just after noon. The actually pushing part is always a highlight, because with the lovely epidural, it's kinda hard to know if you are really doing anything. Both of the other kids came out pretty quick, and Megan was no different. She was delivered at 12:37pm, face up with the cord wrapped around her neck. The doctor quickly and calmly un-looped her and handed her up to me. Now don't get me wrong, I am glad that she is out, but don't want to snuggle her until she's cleaned up (Is that ridiculous of me that I don't like all the yuckiness? Oh well).

She got cleaned up and then we cuddled. Well, not really- she cried. A LOT. Seriously, I was terrified that she wouldn't stop and started to panic that she was just going to be angry. Dave held her and she still cried. My mom held her and she continued to cry. I kid you not- easily the first hour of her life was spend in tears. At least we all knew her lungs were clear. When she finally did settle she just starred at all of us, wide eyed. It was pretty neat.

Dave's parents brought the kids in, and while Jenna was excited to see her sister and tell everyone her name, Adam had fallen asleep in the car and just wanted to be left alone. He kept saying, "I don't like this place" or switching from "I want my daddy" to "I want my mommy" even when Dave was holding him and I was asking for a hug. My mom suggested a walk, and somewhere along the way french fries came up- to which he said, "Yes, that will make me happy". So both kids got swept away for awhile by my parents, and Dave's parents got a chance to cuddle with Megan.

When the kids came back, Adam was much happier, but didn't want much to do with Megan, other then saying her name. Jenna got a chance to hold her and was all smiles. Neither of the kids wanted to leave, but also didn't throw too much fuss to go with their grandparents.

So there you have it. We stayed in the hospital for almost a full 48 hours after her delivery- heading home around 11 on Friday. She's done great since then and been very patient with life on the outside. She has yet to cry as much or as fiercely as she did for her first hour of life- thank goodness. She's even sleeping pretty well for a newborn, giving me more 3-4 hour stretches than 1-2 hour ones at night in her own bed (don't worry, her room is super close to ours, and with both doors open I can hear her every move).

At her weight check just yesterday (at 13 days old) she has crushed her birth weight of 7 lbs 12 ounces, and now weighs in at 8 lbs 7 ounces. She's nursing regularly and all would be perfect if I would take the time to help her perfect her latch. *sigh* It's coming along though, and hopefully we don't have too many more weeks of exhaustion before our Princess is sleeping soundly for 6+ hours each night.

4 comments:

Leah said...

Huh. So. Just like that? And your child really never cries for more than an hour? I think I got jipped thrice... Ah, well. All worth it in the end! Glad things are looking pretty good for you guys. I was wondering about you! :)

sb said...

3-4 hour stretches? What are those? Apparently packing on the pounds is in vogue, though, as we're up to 8#5oz over here (from 7#1oz at birth at 6#13oz at the 2-day appt). Glad your induction went so well and there were no GBS issues!

Leah said...

Packing pounds is in vogue? Hallelujah! I'm making snickerdoodles!

Lisa said...

Sounds like little Megan is doing well. I so wish I was there to meet her and see how you are doing. We miss you guys! Love all the pictures too. :)