Friday, May 30, 2008

reluctant fan

Okay- I read them. I even bought them because the library wait-list was forever long. (I have not bought a book in a really long time.) Everyone was raving about them. I am an active blog stalker, and it seemed like I couldn't click on a blog without encountering a Twilight fan.
I read Twilight back in early April. I liked the story, but I honestly thought it was way too long! The plot didn't seem to pick up until page 300, and by then, yawn...
But I kept on. I finished, and waited a week or so to start New Moon. I lent Twilight to my sister and warned her about my reservations. The books came up at mutual one night, and a couple of my laurels got really excited about it. So I kept reading. New Moon was better than Twilight, but still TOO LONG and slow! I was in no hurry to start Eclipse. I figured that if the next book is not going to be available until the end of the summer, whats the hurry? At this point my little sister Katee had gone out and bought Eclipse because she became hooked by Sarah, and so they could share that copy. I finished Eclipse the other night, and let me tell you- it was the best of the series so far. I love that I truly do not know what is going to happen. I don't think Bella loves Jake as much as Edward, but will she really become a vampire? Bella is a great character that I think everyone can relate to. Why am I so reluctant to embrace this epidemic? I think my first disappointment is that I paid $35 for these books to arrive at my house in a box with a smile. I was overly excited about them, and Twilight let me down. If I had gotten it from the library, I don't think that I would have read the others, which I am glad that I did. The cheesy church undertones are a little ridiculous, and I am not a great fan of Stephanie Meyer's writing style, but I cannot wait for the rest of Bella's story! I love the fact that people are loving books. I love that teenagers are reading and getting excited about it. I will probably see the movie, when it comes to video. I don't like movies made after books that I love- example: Harry Potter. Hey, I think that's it! Was I trying to fill the void that is Harry Potter? Am I, along with millions of others, in search of the next great series? I believe so. I wanted Twilight through Eclipse to be that page-turning, up-all-night, reading-every-chance-I-get... but it just wasn't. Please argue with me if you must, but I will not be adding a countdown to the release date of the next book to my blog.

(note the time-- she is up too early again, but I'm not complaining...)

3 comments:

Reina said...

Okay so we can't be friends! J/K I loved them I read all 3 in 3 days. I can't wait for the 4th and the movie. I love love stories. I am a huge fan of Nicholas Sparks books but this last one I can't even get past page 10. I do have a great book I just read you can borrow if you would like. It is not a love story but it's GREAT! I however love love love those books!!!!!!!!!!

Savana said...

I'm acutally with you a little on this one. I thought these were fun, a nice way to pass the time, but I didn't really LOVE them, as others do. The only reason I kept reading them and will read the 4th is becuase I hate to leave a story unfinished (even a not to great one) I really didn't like New Moon, it was SO SLOW! And I got annoyed with Bella in Eclipse, but if I'm to be honest with myself I think that is because she reminded me of a younger, less mature me-and I hate that!

Unknown said...

these books were out of my league. torture to finish the first!
love your blog!
r