Monday, August 11, 2008

being a grown up

i was shaving my legs the other day and looking at the bottom of the shower curtain liner and wondering when someone was going to wash the mold off. it seriously took me a minute to realize that that someone is going to be me (dave's excuse is that he doesn't notice it).
i am looking at stacks of pictures that have yet to be hung. dave asked the other day if he could help, but i seriously don't know what to do with some of this stuff.
there are clean dishes in the dishwasher and dirty dishes in the sink- agggh! i love having a dishwasher, but it always seems to be busy when i need it. i hate unloading the dishes for many reasons; number 1 is that jenna wants to help.
i need to vacuum downstairs but the vacuum is upstairs. i should just vacuum upstairs and then bring it down, but the girls are both napping.
i do not own a mop. our apartment kitchen was about three square feet, so i just cleaned it on my hands and knees, but now... i really don't want a mop. they are dirty and stinky.
it's times like right now when i miss being a kid. i don't remember ever thinking about who cleaned up after me. i don't remember thinking about how the clean clothes got from the laundry hamper back into my drawers.
have you ever felt this way? is this what we were all so anxious to grow up for?

8 comments:

Heather (wife, mom) said...

don't worry, i did finally wash the shower curtain- it's mold free now!

The McLemore's said...

I wanted a big house and then I realized it just means I have more to clean, dagnabit!!! You have just reminded me that my shower is getting a little funky and it's so not cool.
Oh and get a swiffer wet! they are amazing and I use it weekly and I have a lot of tile to work with. Try it, it has a fresh scent and you throw the pads away so they don't stink and it kills the bacteria!!!

Reina said...

I totally understand the dishwasher thing. It drives me nuts. But Will has been doing all the dishes because I just want to sit and he let me. (He is sweet sometimes:) ) I am going to teach me kids all about who cleans so they don't have this cleaning heartbreak when they move out.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Lorisa the swiffer sweeper is the way to go, it's fast and easy. I'm all about working smarter, not harder! As for the vaccuming i make Frank do it (I've been in to many fights with the vaccum cleaner!) I have bathrooms, moping and laundry is a joint effort.

John and Becky Bowler said...

I love this post. it's sooo true. Sometimes it's not fun to be an adult. You made me laugh about mopping. I still have issues when it comes to mopping floors!!!

Savana said...

I feel the same way sometimes. I just want to play and not do anything sometimes (and yet have everything done). Our new apartment has two bathrooms-now I have double to work to do, which is why I'm greatful sometimes my home is only 1000 square feet! I've found a few shortcuts on the cleaning...one, was already mentioned (swiffer) they are so great and two: Ibuy $2 shower curtains so that when it starts to look dirty and moldy I don't feel bad throwing it out and buying a new one rather than clean it-yikes, is that bad?!?

Heather (wife, mom) said...

okay, so I'm buying a swiffer this payday!
Thanks for all your help... I am trying to get into a cleaning schedule... we'll see!

sb said...

The benefit to being blind without my contacts is that I can't see the mold ALL the way down there on the shower curtain... =) But, I do think that everytime I see my pile of dirty dishes - when is someone going to do those? I really hate dishes, but since I'm the one home all the time, I figure it's only fair that I do the brunt of the housework (although admittedly, it doesn't get done too often anyway).