Friday, January 23, 2009

huh?

jenna went for her 15 month check-up at the pediatricians this week. she was very suspicious before the shots, but recovered pretty quickly. since her 1 year check up, she has only gain a pound. yes, she has increased her mobility drastically in this time, but the nurse/doctor both said that she should have gained more (they weighed her twice to make sure it wasn't a mistake). for those of you that see my girl on a regular basis, you know that she is not chubby, but she is definitely not skinny. i was surprised when a 'high calorie diet' was suggested. so i bought the non-low fat yogurts, and will continue giving her chocolate whole milk. but snacking all day long?! i just can't do it. my house would be a mess!! any suggestions as to how to bulk up my baby? i'm really not concerned at all, but i would like to see her put on another pound or two before we go back in april, without having to replace all the low/non-fat condiments in our fridge with full fat ones.

"jenna, can you smile for mama?"
"this is all you're getting!"

10 comments:

J-mama said...

Hello, I just happened upon your blog today and thought I would share a thought. I have a 19 month old daughter who is tiny, as well. She weighs 12.4 pounds, as of yesterday, she was in the 6th percentile. My Dr's advice was to keep on feeding her normally, if I try to feed her too many high calorie or junky foods, we could have a problem forming bad habits or she could gain too much. I just make sure she gets plenty of whole milk during the day, I find that too many snacks interfere with mealtimes. If she loves spaghetti or mac n cheese, maybe serve it a couple times a week. Hope this helps!

J-mama said...

Oops, I meant she weighs 21.4 pounds! Sorry!

Jodie said...

I was scared at the previous commenter's "12.4 pounds" and glad she corrected herself. :)

I'd suggest high fat cheeses, nuts (peanut butter), and avocados. Just make sure you give her fruits as well so the cheese doesn't make her constipated. :) Good luck!

The McLemore's said...

uh, did u not just look at the picture above of Jenna? She is a skinny mini! but you also have to think, we were small kids too. You were small, we wore the same size clothes for awhile. I think she is just always going to have a small frame. She is definitely not TOO SKINNY tho. I think she's perfect!

Sarah said...

Just make sure that she has snacks available. And then don't stress. As long as she is growing and eating until she is full, you are fine. Sometimes I think that doctors are too concerned with numbers and not looking at the actual kid. (My husband is a doctor - I can be critical! :) ) Anyway, she is beautiful and smart and moving like crazy. Maybe you should just plunk her down in front of the TV with a Happy Meal and some twinkies. OY. Don't worry about it. She is a perfect baby- just growing.

Lori Lou said...

Peanut butter is probably not a good idea until she is two. The sooner you feed her peanut butter the more risk of allergies. Just a suggestion because there are lot of peanut allergies in my family.

Bekah said...

Heather, she is sooo fine! You know her better than any doctor. Unless you have her on a diet or she seems like she's starving, I wouldn't worry. But, I know on the other hand that when a doctor tells you your child is too thin, the natural instinct is to kinda freak out. I would! So, my suggestion, like others, would be cheese and peanut butter (not necessarily together... unless she likes it... kids are weird, you never know). Good luck!!!

Heather (wife, mom) said...

Thanks everyone for the thoughts! I'm not really that worried about it, but I am trying to be more conscience about how much she is and is not eating. I have tried cheese - most of the time she won't eat it- and we just recently introduced peanut butter (we waited a little longer because Dave's family has lots of allergies too) - she won't eat that either. It seems like she only likes to eat oatmeal and chicken nuggets dipped in ketchup- uggh. For dinner tonight she did have lots of broccoli... that's encouraging. Thanks again!

Sarah said...

Try having her dip stuff in ranch. She'll love it.

Janelle Savage said...

Every time I took kit to the WIC office the lady told me to feed her more fattening things. One thing they mentioned is to put vegetable oil in her soups, but that didn't work since she won't eat soups. But my doctor was never worried about it. the doctor always told me to offer good food often and never tell her she can't have more. The doctor also told me as long as she is growing, has energy and dosen't look sick she is getting what she needs.