Monday, January 5, 2009

Jenna's latest

we welcomed tooth #5 and #6 is not far behind.


just the other day, she began folding her arms and bowing her head for prayers. it brought tears to my eyes! she says amen at the end and it is the sweetest thing. she must have totally learned that from watching us and her cousins because i haven't been crossing her arms for her. the other night, she walked around all evening 'saying her prayers'- folding her arms, bowing her head, and then saying amen.

we were able to go out for a nice dinner with some of dave's coworkers last friday. jenna was a hit! it was one of those meals that lasted 2 hours from appetizer to dessert, and she was very well behaved. towards the end of the dinner course, one of the ladies gave jenna a chocolate see's lollipop. she loved it, all the while making the appropriate mess. so when dessert came around, and everyone was sharing, i figured jenna didn't need anything. she thought otherwise. our little girl picked up a fork from the table and began pointing it at the desserts that she wanted to taste, and saying 'please'. non of dave's coworkers could resist her.


last week i noticed jenna's neck all scratched up. i put some cream on it, and figured we'd keep an eye out for it. well the other day she started scratching again. before i could get the cream, she had some pretty good scratches that broke the skin. i asked around, and put some things together, and figured that her skin was reacting to something. the only thing that i can figure that could cause her irritation is the metal snaps on a few of her shirts. weird, i know. lucky kid has been blessed with my sensitive skin. so i will have to layer those shirts for now- but what do i do in the spring/summer to keep the metal off of her skin? in sorting through her 18-24 month clothes, she has quite a few cute ones. medical tape maybe? i did cut her nails really short and am applying antibiotic ointment regularly.

we tested some of our names for the baby with jenna last night. i know that she has another few months of speech development, but it was super sweet the way that she can say them. don't even try- she has been sworn to secrecy (okay, really dave can't make up his mind what he does and doesn't like, so it hardly matters anyways- our list is constantly changing).

(yes, i did just take these pictures to have them to post. it was quite difficult getting her to ignore her cousins/toys and pray for the camera.)

7 comments:

Susan said...

Poor Jenna! Caroline and I are also cursed with horribly sensitive skin. You might try putting some clear nail polish on the metal snaps and letting it dry. That worked for me when I bought some cheap earrings that I really liked, but irritated my ear lobes. just a thought!

Jim said...

Susan beat me to it. The clear fingernail polish is what worked best for Robert. It isn't just your sensitive skin, the Scott side has the same problem, especially metals.

The McLemore's said...

She is so stinkin cute! I love Jenna, also brought tears to my eyes to see her "praying". I remember the first time seeing a little Ben and a little Al folding their arms and it just tugs on my heart strings. Her poor little back! I guess the rash was just starting at Christmas time so strange! I love that you have awesome sister in laws that are so smart, I made a mental note of the clear nail polish for someday!

Kimberlee said...

We had the same problem with Colton. The nail polish works, but remember to apply it after every wash. A pain, I know. Also, the little round bandaids fit perfectly over the snaps. Colton still can't wear watch bands with metal closures. Jenna will also probably have to wear 24k gold earrings or sterling silver. Oh the joys of marrying into a family with uber allergies!!

Brooke said...

love the cute pictures! sounds like you have some experts on the skin solutions, good luck with all of it

Heather (wife, mom) said...

Thanks for all the advice! I am glad it's not just me with sensitive skin. Susan, I have only recently had problems with earrings- I'll have to try nail polish (Dave didn't like the idea of just buying me real jewelry). Yesterday and today I was able to tape the metal snaps and they didn't bother her. I need to buy some clear nail polish!

Jodie said...

Ouch! Poor girl. Hope you find something that works!