Tuesday, April 7, 2009

our name game

naming a kid is a huge deal
huge
huge deal
we don't take it lightly, but we're not as set as others
the idea of naming your kid once you find out what
you are having is kinda silly- to me
how do you know that the name you pick will fit this kid, that you haven't met?
because we don't care to find out baby's sex before delivery day,
we are trying to make a list of names that we like

with jenna, the list had about 4 names to choose from if she was a girl, and 4 names if
she happened to be a boy (i knew she was a girl)
jenna was born at 11:13 pm, after waiting far too long for the dr to arrive to deliver her
by the time she was cleaned up, and we were talking names, it was closer to midnight,
or even one am
we were exhausted
exhausted
i asked dave what her name was, and his first response was jenna
then we went to sleep (dave went to sleep, i only tried to sleep)
i held our sweet girl and decided jenna worked
that's how we decided

we had the discussion a few months ago about how both of us had doubts in her
first few months that we picked the wrong name,
and how it wasn't our most favorite on our short list
we didn't even mention this to each other until she was more than a year old
probably out of guilt
we love the name, and know that it is her name- now
she is 100% jenna, but we want to be better prepared with #2

i have checked books out from the library
scoured internet sites and list
kinda consulted loved ones
for months now
months!

only just recently had dave and i semi-decided on 2 girl names, and 2 boy names
the other day, dave walked in from work and told me that he was just
not feeling ANY of the names we had decided on
what?!!!
but we were doing so well, and i like them!

have i mentioned our 5 letter idea?
all three of dave's names are 5 letters-
David James Scott
and Jenna just happens to be 5 letters
we thought it would be cute if the next one had 5 letters too
especially if it's a boy, because James will be his middle name,
after dave and dave's dad

yadda yadda
5 letters makes things difficult!
it's only more difficult because our children have lots
of cousins with lots of good name!
we have kinda thrown out the five letter idea though
i don't want his/her name to be spelled weird just to make it work
you know?

because Scott starts with an 'Sc' sound, we don't really want the 's' sound
at the end of his/her first name
easier for a girl than for a boy
i love Lucas and we both love Douglas-
but you hear the problem?
uggh
we also like the idea of one of the names to have a meaning-
like after someone
*for example, jenna's middle name is karleigh, after my dad, karl*
we already have james for a boys middle name, and i'm not telling
our girls middle name, but it's kinda the same thing we did with jenna's

i guess we are at square one
i'm not so much soliciting for ideas, as i am for understanding
-how did you pick?
-were their names set in stone before delivery?
-do you think i'm crazy?
be kind

i'm feeling the pressure
6 weeks to go



*i'll add this link that i read and enjoyed recently---- good advice! check it out, it is a very good jumping board-
The Baby Naming Manifesto: Version 1.3*

12 comments:

The McLemore's said...

Lucas Scott is from One Tree Hill.... not cool! I think Jenna is an awesome name and I think it fits her great! I don't care what you name the baby, I will still love it all the same ;)

Leah said...

danny and i like picking beforehand because it gives us lots of time to make sure we can love the name for an extended period of time. to me, newborns all look kind of funny, so it's too hard to know if the name fits when that face will look totally different in a week! but i am so opposite spectrum from you -- i just can't find out the gender soon enough! i think the list idea is good for your style. and jenna is a cute name. i get what you mean, though. i regret not spelling adelle the more traditional way, but i guess our styles just evolve over time. there's not much you can do to prevent it. i suppose all you can do is go with what you like and hope it works out! and again, a novel composed here. i can't seem to contain myself.

Jim said...

Had the same questions over David's name. David James Scott with the s sound in the middle and last name. I wanted James David Scott and call him David, but too many problems with being called by your middle name. So, he is David James and since he goes by David, no problem. OK, so much for history. Joseph and his cousin share a middle name, Joseph likes his, his cousin HATES his. Go figure. We support you whatever you decide. The fun of being parents!

Adam and Samantha said...

Well I don't know if you want my advice because you know how well we pick our names... but I say just have a goal to go to the hospital with at least 2 names for a boy and girl, make sure that you BOTH like them and your willing to name your baby either of them. As for finding them. I looked on the internet everyday, I looked at books, and I would just hear names and write down ANYTHING that that I thought was even kind of cute. Then Adam and I would go over the list and cross of any that were an absolute no. We ended up with about 4 names that we both really liked, but went she came out we pretty much knew she was a Malia!, Ethan didn't work out so well, but you know that story, sorry about the novel! Good Luck!! I know you find one that is really cute and totally fits your baby!

The Wilker Family said...

We were one of the wierd people who knew right when we found out we were having a boy. We had already picked out 2 boy names a long time ago, but one got kicked off for sounding too much like our dog's name and we kind of combined what we had left. Funny, I know. Just a few days after we found out he was a boy, I just knew his name was Preston. Not sure how, but I knew and told Steve that it was his name and he agreed. Not much advice for you, sorry!

Mommie Babekah said...

If Abby had been a boy we were in big trouble. We had no boys names at all. When we had Richard we knew it was Richard for a Boy and Abigail for a Girl. You did a great job naming Jenna, I sure you'll find the prefect name this time around.

Reina said...

We named the babies in my tummy:) Jordan is William name reversed (William Jordan and Jordan William) We were going to name Kenzie Makenzie and call her Kenzie but too many did that and she is totally just Kenzie to me. Robbie I wanted to be Jacob so we had some talks over that for a long time and then Robert Jacob just fit when I called him Robbie
Now our next will be hard because I am 100000% sure of the girl name and Will doesn't like it now and no idea for boy. I think you should say the name over and over and if you still like it put it on the list and when *he* comes:) Say it to him and see if it "fits"
I actually did that to Robbie I said it ALOT to him just to make sure.
*sorry so long*

sb said...

Now that she's born, I'll tell you truthfully that we've had the name Natalie picked out for awhile. That said, we had a couple other names that were options too in case we decided on something different when she was born. In reality, I actually agree with Leah - newborns all look funny anyway, so I'm not sure any name "fit" her right away. I think all you can do is go with a name you like and baby will become that name, KWIM? (And, you know that baby doesn't have to have a set name that first night, right? =)

Unknown said...

I'm so the opposite of you. Both of my kids' names were picked out even before Sadie was born. And if we have one more boy and one more girl, their names are picked out already as well. (Don't ask me what we'll do if we get any other combination!!) IMO you're thinking too much into it :) But then again, what do I know... I'm the weirdo that names my kids before I even know their sex!

Karen Scott Welker said...

Step 1- Breathe deeply. It's only the name he/she will be saddled with for the rest of his/her life. (This is why I find out the sex first. I hate when a baby is called "it.")
Step 2- Take your list of names, go out to the back porch (front, in your case) and yell it at the top of your lungs. Seriously. (Great advice I got from an old Southern gramma on my mission) If it sounds ridiculous to "holler" that name, don't pick it, because you'll be doing lots of that.
3- Pray. The Lord knows who is coming. He can help you.

Whatever you decide, make sure you remember how the name was chosen. Jenna will love hearing the story you recorded, because it is all about her and how she came to be who she is. Mom and Dad had to do this 8 times. And they got it right each time. Can you see David as anything other than Dave? Or Andrew anything but Bubba? Just relax. I doubted Ty's name his first year. But look at him. He is definitely a Tyler.

Bekah said...

I know I'm a few days late on this, but I had to comment. I am such a name fanatic and insist on keeping Andy up late some nights naming our unborn children. I'm big on having the name picked out beforehand. I've heard people say they need to see the baby first and decide what it looks like. But, I think that if that's the case, then there would be a lot of babies out there named "Grandpa" or "Lizard." That being said, I know how nerveracking it can be to choose a name. My only advice would be not to shoot down a name Dave likes (or vice versa) right away. Give it a few days to stew and you may feel differently about it, or be even more sure you don't like it. That's how we ended up agreeing on both Ava and Jax's names. I'm sure you'll find something perfect for your little one! And if not, you're the mom, you can always change it!! :)

Aubry Wilkes said...

Heather... OK, so I totally found your blog by blog-stalking. I read the linked article and thought it was hilarious and oh-so true. Here's my 2 cents: I loved picking out my children's names... I had them picked out when I was a Junior in HS... I only used three of them... Chris had his input. I also always found out what my baby was going to be, because I am a controlling person by nature and wanted to be prepared. AND I like calling the baby by it's name before it is born... I feel like the baby becomes more a part of the family that way, more connected. I loved all our name choices, and never once looked back... although after 4 boys, I have 2 girls names that I love that I never got to use. However, my brother just got engaged to a sweet girl who has one of them: Emily. So I guess it works... at least she is a part of the family. But I digress... weird spellings, initials, family names... which I love BTW... all my boys have middle names after a family member... just go with what feels right... again just my 2 cents. I look forward to seeing your new addition soon.