Wednesday, March 17, 2010

official project #1

i got a sewing machine for christmas this year. actually, i got TWO sewing machines (one was returned). when my nephew eli was born, his mom requested some large swaddling blankets. i scoured the internet for a simple tutorial, and was able to use my straight stitching skills and make 2 large blankets for him. i pretty much feel in love with turning fabric into something, and started to ponder what my first official project would be. i wanted to start off super easy, so as not to get discouraged. at joanns, armed with my coupons, i browsed for a beginner pattern. i found a kinda cute jumper-style dress in jenna's size, and then let her chose a material to become her dress.

growing up, i helped my mom at cutting out patterns, but that's where the 'lessons' ended. i was nervous and had to give myself a few pep talks. i pulled out the directions and read over them a dozen times, and was feeling less confident. i cut out the pattern and the material and started with a few of the simple stitches. i gave up twice, but couldn't stop thinking about it. i seemed to figure it out once i stopped looking at it for an hour.

total time
needed to make my first project= less than 2 hours (of course spread out over the course of an entire day)

*disregard the unevenness represented in the picture- she wouldn't let me tie the straps evenly.*
i was thinking about adding some embellishment, maybe some decorative buttons or flowers, but really, jenna has already said that she doesn't like it.

surprise, surprise...

12 comments:

Adam and Samantha said...

I'm impressed!! It looks very cute! Maybe I should start trying some patterns out, HAHAHAHA I crack myself up!!

sb said...

Isn't he too young to be disparaging homemade clothes? Oh well. I think it turned out well. You did a great job!

Sarah said...

Good work! Perhaps the next one should have Dora on it... or Diego... Hmmm.

Jim said...

I think some cute buttons would make Jenna love it. Has she twirled in it. that's always a hit. I think you did a great job, don't give up. I have material you can practice on!

Susan said...

Go girl! I try and try but sewing is not my strength. The dress looks great though - much better than anything I've produced.

The McLemore's said...

I love Jenna! PS I thought I had some mad sewing skills cause I sewed fabric on burp cloths... you totally showed me up! Super fun though hu!!!! Once I can find some extra time I want to try the swaddling blankets. Isn't it funny how once you start you can't stop thinking about it.

Rob and Sara said...

I think it looks great! I'm impressed even if miss jenna isn't. :)

The Wilker Family said...

That's so cute!! I was given a sewing machine years ago and have yet to attempt it, so way to go!

Mayhem no longer said...

Great job and A+ on picking a pattern without sleeves for your first project! I want to make a sling/wrap/baby carrier for my sister, so if you get the urge again soon... let me know and we'll have a sewing party!

Mommie Babekah said...

If she really doesn't it like it can Abby have it. Just kidding, good job sis.

Leah said...

Adelle will wear it. NOT kidding. I never kid.

Darin and Elaina said...

That is really good. I would be totally intimidated too but this is really cute.