Monday, June 7, 2010

CVS game

i started picking up the sunday paper a few weeks ago. okay, two sunday papers: i wanted the coupons. i have *tried* coupon-ing in the past, and not been that successful. my friend lisa convinced me to give it another try (dave was totally on board when she mentioned some of the great deals she gets on razors and toothpaste). for the past few weeks, i have just been flipping through the coupons and then storing the inserts- no ‘clipping’ just yet. lisa introduced me to moneysavingmom.com, where they tell you which store has sales and which week had coupons for that product (so it would be at that point that you go back and ‘clip’ the coupon). i haven’t dove into the grocery coupon game just yet, but CVS is a GREAT place to start.

i pulled out the ad yesterday and was excited for some of their prices and Extra Buck Deals. i don’t want to buy stuff that we don’t need and won’t use just because it’s on sale… so i don’t. check out what i got today::

IMG_1133

any guesses on what i spent, out of pocket?? i don’t think you’ll guess right, because i’m still impressed.

$45?

nope.

$30?

nope.

$20.76- and I got $4 in Extra Bucks to use on my next trip and a coupon for $5 off my $15 purchase. so basically CVS offered some great sale prices on items with coupons in the paper. easy peasy. yes, i did have $8 in Extra Bucks from diaper and shampoo purchases last week, but i also walked in with nearly $20 in coupons. i was very grateful for the free package of tp with $25 (pre coupon) purchase, because we were almost out.

4 comments:

sb said...

Yay! MSM also has links on the side of her blog so you can find people who post grocery store matchups for your area. They'll have local Safeway, Bashas, Fry's, Albertson's, etc. It's very helpful. I also love the CVS game, although I admit sometimes I'm not very good at only buying stuff we need. Since we're not picky about haircare or toothpaste brands, I've established well over a years' supply of free shampoo/conditioner and toothpaste using CVS deals. (And I don't even use Sunday paper coupons.)

Leah said...

*Sigh* This couponing business seems like a lot of work. I'd much rather buy a boatload on clearance. Plus I'd have to pay for the freakin Sunday paper...oh the mail beds she'd make. THE MAIL BEDS!!! Maybe some day...

Heather (wife, mom) said...

I've gone back and forth with it being worth my time. As of now, I have the time, so I might as well use it. A year ago I would have laughed. It feels good saving money, so I am looking at it as my '2nd job'. I figure if I spend an hour a day making list, printing and organizing coupons, it's worth it. AND we have lots of cheap stuff! AND I get to 'shop' and not feel guilty about spending money.

Susan said...

I love CVS for this reason. I totally think it's worth my time. I've gotten SO many free/cheap necessities over the last 2 years. The way I see it, if I can't help bring money into our household, I can help save it!