Monday, July 19, 2010

Dave and Heather’s day of fun!

*Please note that the picture posted is clearly not from our day. I found it on the web because I failed to bring my camera. Boo! Seriously, I would have loved to have photographic proof of our day, but that just didn’t happen.*

I was introduced to Groupons after a friend posted a great deal that she got on our local Zoo membership. So I ordered my first Groupon- $25 for an annual family membership to the Reid Park Zoo. They retail for more than twice that! I was excited about my deal, and was sure others could benefit from it as well. So I shared it on Facebook, and received $40 ($10 per referral) in Groupon credits because 4 different friends clicked over and bought after my lead. Cool huh? So I subscribed to Groupons and began watching the deals. A few days later a deal for a 3-hour Jet Ski rental came up. I’ve never been on a jet ski before, so it sounded like fun. The deal was for $84, but when I applied my credit, it came out to $44 for 3-hours. Do you know what it retails for? Closer to $200! I was excited, and so was David. I made the arrangements for Aunt/Uncle sitting for our small ones, and marked the calendar. We bought the super power sunscreen and some $6 water shoes and headed to Lake Pleasant, which is northwest of Phoenix.

Oh my goodness- we had a blast! Seriously, we will be doing this again. Dave started off driving, and took off super fast and made a few sharp turns right away, and I was freaking out hanging on for dear life. I wanted to start off easy, and try not to flip it in the first hour. We made a few loops and got the feel of it. The lake water was clear and we jumped in to cool off every so often. Once I got to drive, I was hooked. So much fun! It was the same adrenaline rush that I feel when I am on top of a mountain snow skiing down. I couldn’t stop smiling and was just having so much fun. We tried to follow a few of the speed boats around the lake in hopes of getting some air off their wakes. It worked! Once we got caught completely by surprise by a HUGE wave that completely covered us. We didn’t flip the ski even once, and only fell off in the process of trying to get back on.

Including the $25 in gas that we filled up the ski with before we returned it, and the lake side restaurant where we ate lunch, we spent less than $90 for the entire experience. In our minds, it was more than worth it. Someday, we hope to bring friends/family, rent a boat and some skies and make an entire day, or vacation out of it. Interested?

10 comments:

Leah said...

Glad you had a good time! Danny and I played on one of those at North Carolina, and it was okay, but Danny was super uptight because he was scared that he'd flip it and ruin the rental. Lame. Ness.

Lisa said...

So fun! I hardly got to talk to you on Sunday. I was going to ask how your awesome day was. I haven't been jet skiing forever! I used to have no fear on those things, but I have since become more cautious. :) Jet skis are so fun though. I'm glad you guys had such a fun day!

Brooke said...

I was going to say you guys sure look like different people on those jet skis! ha ha Looks like a blast though, we would love to go with you next time

Sarah said...

Take me! In about a year... :) Glad you had an awesome time! I'm jealous. I did laundry on Saturday. blech.

Jim said...

Just for your information--my brother Steve (in Salt Lake) owns two jet ski's. Say, "favorite uncle!" anyone? Mom

The McLemore's said...

WE will totally go! Let me know and we should make a weekend out of it or something!!!!! Looks like you had so much fun, I am so jealous!!!!

Porter and Karla said...

you are hillarious to post other people jet skiing! gave me a good laugh... I may have done the same thing. That looks SO FUN!!! when it cools down can we please meet for a day at the zoo...Elizabeth needs some girlfriend and jenna seems like a doll:)or maybe emily will let me come swim...do you live in her neighborhood??

Reina said...

We are in! My dad has a boat with all the fun stuff skies and knee boards and says we can borrow it anytime. So let's do it only NOT when I am pregnant:)
I am glad you guys got to have a break.

Lori Knobel said...

Oh I LOVE playing on the water like that! I have an uncle with some water toys, sadly it's been awhile since we've been out on them. =( Is that Groupons thing available for use anywhere? Could I use it here in Utah? Sounds like an awesome place to get some good deals on stuff! Glad you guys had fun!

Darin and Elaina said...

That was a sweet deal and sounds like so much fun. It's been a long time since I've been on a jet ski but they are fun and it makes you feel like a kid again!