Thursday, July 15, 2010

whooda thought?

Last night, as we were brushing our teeth before bed, and being unusually playful, Dave spit and said,     ‘Did you ever think it would be this fun?’

Whatcha mean?’ was my response with a mouth full of toothpaste.

‘This. All of this. Our life. Our kids. It’s fun.’

I finished brushing and hugged my handsome husband.

I always hoped it would be this fun, and feel blessed that it is.

 

This comes after a stressful week and a half. Dave has been having some issues with his heart. He was worried enough to schedule an appointment to see his doctor, who after a quick test referred him to a Cardiologist. We were lucky to get into to see the Cardiologist a week ago, who ordered more test to get an accurate diagnosis. Yesterday, the Cardiologist confirmed his originally suspected diagnosis of WPW, or Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome. We were both worried that the test would be inconclusive or show greater problems, but were relieved that Dave’s concerns were validated. It has a clear cut ‘cure’ and after a 3-4 hour ‘procedure’  (they don’t use the term Heart Surgery since it’s out-patient, but I think we’ll get more sympathy if we call it that) he’ll have no more uncomfortable symptoms. It felt like a load of bricks was lifted from us. As easy as it is to be strong for the other one (and make jokes about life insurance and the access to replacement husbands), it’s much easier to relax together and feel truly blessed for answers. Hopefully, we’ll be able to schedule the procedure for some time in the next couple weeks.

So yeah, sometimes being a grown up is scary: Sick kids, health concerns (that we both keep having), finances, taxes… the list could go on. But overall, we are blessed with many great things.

I love having someone to share it all with that loves the craziness as much as I do.

7 comments:

The Wilker Family said...

That's so crazy about Dave but so glad it's nothing too serious!!

Aubry Wilkes said...

OH Heather, my heart went into my throat as I began reading your story.. so glad that it is something that can be cured. What a blessing! And more good news... it is still fun, even after 17 years!

Stacy said...

I am happy there is a quick fix for your husband and that you are so blessed in your life. It is amazing how trials how ever big or small highlight the joy and blessings that really permiate our lives. I totally get where you are coming from. Totally and completely :-)

Sarah said...

Awww. He's a good guy. :) You should keep him.

Brooke said...

I had just heard about the heart thing this week and we're so relieved it will be taken care of. Definite diagnoses with definitive fixes are the best (well, next to not having problems at all, that is)

Mayhem no longer said...

Lots of prayers going your way. Nothing with the heart is ever a good thing, but aren't you glad we live in an age and place that can help?

Lori Knobel said...

Our prayers are with your family. And you're right, marriage and having your own little family is loads of fun! I wouldn't trade it for anything. =)