As a primary teacher, I love the chance I have to share principles of the Gospel with my group of 6/7 year olds. They are wonderful kids and the spirit is so strong as their ‘light bulbs’ go off and they really understand the concept I am trying to teach. This past Sunday the lesson was on Gratitude. We took turns naming our blessings from Heavenly Father as we filled a jar with grains of rice. We were all able to name the obvious things- family, health, our homes, the church, the earth, pets- and a few obscure ideas- sunshine, our senses, warm clothes. Most of the lesson was taken up with us each thinking of all the things that we have been blessed with and making the jar overflow. I shared the story of the 10 Lepers found in Luke 17 and discussed how great it is to hear ‘Thank you’. We also talked about thanking those that make our blessings possible, such as our parents and of course our Heavenly Father. I love a successful lesson where I leave feeling like the kids truly comprehended what was being taught.
My sister-in-law’s nephew drown this past week. He was only 18 months old. It really woke me up and scared me. The thought of losing a child close to me, or worse yet, one of my own kids, really made me appreciate how blessed I am. We are healthy and safe and are tucked warm in our beds each night with a full belly. We are blessed.
I just worry that I’m not grateful enough. Why do I deserve so much? Why have I been blessed when others are constantly being challenged?
One of my favorite Hymns is Count Your Blessings (if you click on the text, you’ll be linked to an MP3 of the hymn). The message is that whenever life get’s hard, and you feel low and burdened, take a moment to count your blessings and you’ll realize all the great gifts the Lord has given you. So here goes my list of my many blessings:
a home that fits our family just right, with an affordable monthly mortgage payment
two beautiful, healthy children that make me smile even when they are acting like stinkers
a husband that loves being a husband and an awesome father to aforementioned children
affordable medical insurance and access to health care and specialist- I am constantly impressed with the advancements in medicine
David’s secure job at Intuit (that he enjoys and excels at) which provides our family with all of it’s needs and many of our wants
goodly parents for both me and David who raised us in the gospel and taught us how to be the parents we are
siblings who live near and far that love our kids, and allow us to love theirs
the skills and desires to be a good homemaker
a television with cable that we shut off (and quit paying for) months ago but is still hooked up and allows us to watch Nickelodeon and PBS kids for 2 hours each day
the knowledge of the Gospel and the chance to attend church on a weekly basis
the freedoms of this great nation that include choices and diversity that many in the world go without
the blessings of the Temple, which include our family being together forever
Jenna’s nursery leaders that teach her primary songs
Adam’s determination and ability to charm the pants off most people he sees
a good credit score, a comfortable 401K, a small savings account and money in the bank
cars that are dependable and require little repair (with two that are for sale, in case you were in the market- yes, we still have 3 cars *sigh*)
friends for me and my children
air conditioning and a swimming pool up the street
a comfortable bed
at least a months supply of food in the pantry, the freezers and the fridge
a washing machine, dryer and a dishwasher- so glad I was not born 100 years ago ;)
a public library not too far away providing me and my children access to 1000’s of books
I think I could keep going, and while I’m sure I missed something important, I need to return to my motherly duties….
I feel blessed and am so grateful for all that I have. I know that my blessings come from my Heavenly Father and I can feel of his love and his hand in my life as I look over this list.
5 comments:
Thanks for sharing this Heather - it's always good to be reminded of how much good there is in our lives. I'm so sorry to hear about your sis-in-laws nephew (is your sis-in-law my sis-in-law or your side of family?) Same thing happened to a little girl in our ward last summer and it was heartbreaking.
Thank you for sharing this! I need to work harder on being more grateful and you reminded me of some of those things. We're still working on getting some of those things but it's important to have gratitude during the process. I'm trying!
Well looks like my comment was already said for me! Thanks for sharing this, it's true how blessed we are
What a great list. We often remind our kids (and ourselves) to "count our blessings instead of sheep." Have you heard that song? It was running through my head while I read your post.
This was such a good post to read! All too often we overlook our blessings and feel disgruntled about things we feel are lacking. There is SO much to be thankful for! Thanks for this awesome little reminder to count our blessings. =)
Post a Comment