Sunday, April 10, 2011

My favorite from General Conference

   The greatest message that I took away from General Conference was the important role of parents. I didn’t take many notes, and finally just had to go look up the stories that I just kept thinking about. I LOVED the message from Elder Maynes, and the following poem that he shared (The Echo by C.C. Miller)::

’Twas a sheep not a lamb

That strayed away in the parable Jesus told,

A grown-up sheep that strayed away

From the ninety and nine in the fold.

And why for the sheep should we seek

And earnestly hope and pray?

Because there is danger when sheep go wrong:

They lead the lambs astray.

Lambs will follow the sheep, you know,

Wherever the sheep may stray.

When sheep go wrong,

It won’t take long till the lambs are as wrong as they.

And so with the sheep we earnestly plead

For the sake of the lambs today,

For when the sheep are lost

What a terrible cost

The lambs will have to pay.

   He was also the one that said, that while our kids might not remember WHAT we taught at FHE, they will remember THAT we taught. The same goes for prayers and scripture study… which is nice to know when you have a not-yet-two-year-old that has no interest in being reverent for prayers, scripture study, or family home evening.

   Parenting can be frustrating, but the joys far out-way any of the frustrations. Most days I go to bed smiling and loving the chance that I have to teach these two little people. I just beam when they demonstrate that they really are learning, be it manners, or gospel principles, or even compassion. It is wonderful!

   Heavenly Father has trusted David and I to teach our ‘lambs’. As the ‘sheep’, we must make sure to stay on course and not lead them astray by our bad example. Children learn everything from those they spend time with. If you are trying to be Christ like in all that you do, your kids will see that. If you talk sweetly to your loved ones, your kids will see that. If you smile and use manners with everyone you meet, your kids will see that. If you grumble about your callings and church leaders, you kids will see that. If you casually miss church meetings (Sunday and those special ones during the week), your kids will see that. If you gossip constantly and are quick to find fault with others, your kids will see that. Kids pick up on everything! In my own little miss, I have noticed a few of my less-desirable {if you must} traits already being exhibited. Sarcasm and sass can be humorous at times from a grown up, but from a 3-year-old? Not so much.

   I so appreciated Elder Maynes address, and am grateful for the help and inspiration from modern prophet as I try to learn how to be the best parent I can be. It’s not easy, by any means, but with the help of our Savior, and the knowledge that we have that we are HIS children, it can be done well if we heed the counsel. How lucky are we as members of the Church to have a modern prophet to teach us?!

   If you have the eleven minutes, please watch his address. It’s wonderful, and I plan to watch it often to remember all that I have been asked to do. I know that our Church is true and I know that President Monson, and those that he’s called, are called by the Lord FOR US! I know that my Heavenly Father loves me, and I have a great testimony of this. Easter is such a special time to learn more about the love that our Savior, Jesus Christ has for all of us, and I look forward to *trying* to teach my kids.

3 comments:

The Wilker Family said...

Thanks for your post today! Read it earlier and couldn't help but think about it as we had family night and Preston cried through half of it (and family prayer). Don't think he learned much, but at least we had it!!

Lisa said...

I loved Conference! I always do of course, but there were so many talks that I needed to hear. I can't wait to listen to them all again. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)

Susan said...

Great post, Heather. I did rewatch the video and I totally needed it - thanks!