Monday, August 29, 2011

Ode to the Mini-Van

   I will begin by saying that I love mini-vans. I will admit that they are not the coolest car on the road, but most practical, family cars are not (and I can't afford my 'dream' car yet either, even if I did know exactly what that was). I knew that we were going to be happy mini-van owners- since we want more than 2 kids, and we vacation often, it just makes sense. How about that large 9 passenger SUV? Well, we don't camp, don't need to tow a boat (or a soccer/little-league team), and they get terrible gas mileage. Maybe if we end up with 5 kids, and they are all old enough to climb over the seats and buckle up... maybe. I know that the mini-van doesn't get the best gas mileage, but MUCH better than that huge SUV. Our Mazda 5 got amazing mileage for seating 6, but once 5 or 6 people are in it, it has no cargo space. Not room for a stroller even, and definitely not room to road trip. Duel sliding doors are a gift with more than one kid, once you have them, you can't NOT have them. So alas, we bought a mini-van.

   The kids love that they can push the buttons to open and close the doors. I love the back up camera and the stow-and-go third row. Dave loves that it has roof bars and all-wheel drive capabilities so he can take it on ski trips. We all love that we got a great deal on a car that will work with our family for years to come. And the cup holders are a-plenty!

   Dave is a car guy. He sold cars for a year, and did LOTS of research in the last few weeks to prepare for this purchase. We really thought we would go with a used Honda Odyssey, but the numbers just worked out better for a new Toyota. You can get better financing for a new car, and with the way that Honda's and Toyota's retain their value, you don't have much savings by buying one that is a few years old. We ended up at the dealership to talk numbers, and this Sienna (in South Pacific Pearl) had all sorts of specials to get her off the lot and make room for the 2012's. I was a little bummed that it wasn't an eight seater, but I'm already over that. So there you have- we are a mini-van family, and probably will be for the next 10-15 years. Woo hoo!

   If you are having your first kid, do you need a mini-van? No. I think I might make fun of you for buying one, but once you have 2-2+ kids in car seats, it's really nice to have. I admire those of you that stick with the family car that you already have, and make due WITHOUT the mini-van for as long as possible in an effort to save money. Great for you! But I don't care to listen to those people rag on mini-vans. I have happily 'surrendered to motherhood' in every way and LOVE my mini-van. And really, it's an awesome ride. Now we just need to get to the point in our finances where Dave can drive a cool 'date-night' car... maybe when this baby is paid off in 60 months.


10 comments:

Allison said...

The Sienna has by far the best commercials :)

The Wilker Family said...

Wow, looks fabulous!! Yours definitely is newer and has more bells and whistles than ours but I'm inlove with automatic sliding doors and Preston loves pushing the button too. Definitely the most practical family car I think! Congrats and enjoy the new car!

Mayhem no longer said...

Congrats on the new car!

Clarkey said...

Sweet, come by and pick me up sometime so we can go cruising in the mini-van...no, I really mean it...come and get me...

Stephanie said...

We are right there with you. My husband has done his research and we're looking for a Sienna too. I feel the same way you do about the convenience. It just makes sense. Only thing is, we have #3 on the way. . . is there something you want to tell me?

Leah said...

Welcome to the club. The minivan is addicting. Seriously. My parents bought a new one as EMPTY NESTERS.

The McLemore's said...

super pretty! Love it! I think I'm going to hold out in hopes for an Armada or Sequoia some day....

Darin and Elaina said...

Very nice. Looks like a sweet ride to me :)

Karen Scott Welker said...

I love our Sienna. So much that I never drive Jason's "fun" car when I need to go on errands. I think a mini-van IS my dream car.

Susan said...

I have the same stance on mini-van ownership as you do. I think people who are so anti-minivan are silly and have probably never driven a newer one. Caroline thinks they are super-cool and is excited if she rides in someone else's! Congrats - yours looks way nice!