Tuesday, January 17, 2012

nesting, stage 1

   Both kids were excited to put the baby doll in the seat. Jenna actually pulled the entire car seat into her room and slept with her baby buckled in right next to her bed.

   Recovering the infant seat proved to be more work than I originally thought. Lots of seams were ripped apart before being sewn back together. At one point I wasn't sure it was going to come together, but it did. Honestly, I would be happy to do it again... in a few years.

   I am pretty satisfied with how it came together, and am anxious to put the little miss in there. I only need to scrub all the straps down real good and then thread it all back together. Maybe hand wash the new cover too, just so it's ready to go. The tutorial recommended finding a flame resistant spray- so I'll look for that as well.
  Oh, and the canopy is still the original brown and blue. I'm not sure what my course of action for that is just yet- I don't have more than scraps left of the fabric that I used, so we'll see. I might just do a pink blanket to drape over the top and you won't see the canopy anyways.

  All I can say now is that this baby better be a girl.

8 comments:

Bekah said...

I'm so impressed! It looks great!!! I've attached a tutorial for a car seat canopy. There's more basic ones out there, but I've made this one and absolutely love it! http://www.sew-much-ado.com/2011/11/gathered-car-seat-canopy-tutorial.html

Unknown said...

Super cute! We have that same baby doll, except she never has her clothes on :)

Leah said...

What the... Who the heck undertakes this sort of thing?! I bought an ugly GRAY car seat. Problem solved. Of course, I probably would have done well *not* to invest in unisex items after all. Who knew? Good thing you're the crafty one.

Heather (wife, mom) said...

I guess I should have taken a 'before' pic- this wasn't the seat I used for my other kids. That one had an awful puzzle-piece type bottom latch which David and I hated. I sold our seat and single jogger (part of the system) on CL. This seat was the one my sister had to buy just over a year ago for her 4th since her carseat had expired. It was totally fine and unisex (light blue and gray) but I wanted it to be pretty since we know that she's a girl. Oh, and Elise- most days the dolly is totally naked around here too :)

The Wilker Family said...

That looks so great! I love that it's girly without being lace and ruffles and in your face pink. We had a weird puzzle piece buckle with Preston and got rid of ours too (love craigslist for that), just couldn't imagine another year of getting frustrated with the buckle. Way to go on this latest project and getting it done with so much time left!

Marne said...

You did an awesome job Heather! I love the cute fabric you picked out. If we ever have a girl I'll have to hire you to make me one. ;)

Susan said...

Way to go! I'm not confident enough in my sewing skills to even attempt something like that. It looks great!

Vanessa said...

Wow, I am totally impressed! I wish I had your mad sewing skills.