David's Grandpa had been sick since the end of October. He never got better, and finally passed the week before Christmas. We were expecting it to happen, but still not prepared to really say goodbye. He's been living with David's parents here in Tucson for the last few years, and we've gotten used to having him around. When David and I told Jenna that Grandpa Bud was now living with Heavenly Father, she couldn't understand why we had tear in our eyes because that meant that he was also with his sweetheart again. It was nice to have her remind us that he now had a strong body and that we would see him when we were all resurrected. That made us both cry even more to hear that she really had been listening.
David got to say the opening prayer at the service, and once he was done, Adam very audibly said, "Good job Dad!" about 6 times before he got back to his seat. It made all who heard it smile.
Dave's brother Jeff gave a beautifully poetic eulogy about his Grandfather that was easily the highlight of the service. The great-grand kids in attendance were asked to sing, "I Am A Child of God" and Jenna was very excited and anxious to sing for her Great-Grandpa. Of course, she needed to use the potty about half way through the message that came right before, so we hustled to the bathroom, and heard the singing start as we were in the hallway headed back. I opened the doors and told her to get up there and she ran all the way to the stand and sang loud and clear enough for Grandpa to hear her in heaven. Very sweet! Adam didn't want to go to the stand, but he did sing the chorus while on his dad's lap.
David, his brothers, a cousin, and uncles got to serve as pall bearers.
Grandpa was drafted into the Navy and served for many years (before becoming a fire man)- the bugle was a cool addition, even if it was just a recording. Here is David's Dad getting his fathers flag.
His finally resting place was next to his sweet heart that passed away nearly 3 years ago. What a beautiful reunion that must have been!
Jenna posing with all the girl cousins that were in attendance (we were only missing 3 girl cousins)
Adam wanted in on the photo action, but his boy cousins must have been too busy playing video games.
All 8 of David's parent's kids made it to the funeral- Rob flew in from Hawaii, Susan came from Mississippi, and Joe from Salt Lake City. It's always fun when this group is together! We missed Melanie, the other Dave and Brooke, but still made time to go out to dinner together that night.










5 comments:
thanks for posting this. I was SO sad to miss it and loved seeing the pictures. Grandpa Bud's death rocked me harder than I thought it would too. It's so comforting to know where he is though and that we will see him again.
I totally cried reading this...I was thinking of what it must have been like when grandpa finally saw his sweetheart!! Will's grandma has been missing hers for almost 20 years now and she can't talk about him without tears (she does say she will smack him 1st for leaving:) ) anyways...sweet post and (((hugs)))
Not that this applies to this post... One of my old roomates has a blog with the same name- how fun!
As we were driving to Phoenix, I asked, "Is it bad to be excited to go to a funeral?" I miss Grandpa, but know he's better off where he is now. And I just love hanging with my family. But no more funerals for a while. Any one else would just be tragic. We'll have to find other excuses to get together.
Thanks for posting this - I didn't bring my camera to the funeral at all. Ok if I steal some pictures?
Post a Comment