Monday, March 5, 2012

Adventures in freezer cooking

 A girl friend from the ward/neighborhood invited a few of us into a Freezer Cooking Swap. We were each to bring 6 freezer meals and we would each leave with 6 different freezer meals. Genius, right?! I have a few recipes that I double and make an extra for the freezer, but this was on a much bigger scale than I was use to. Moneysavingmom.com talks a lot about how freezer cooking works for her family, and so do a few of the other blogs I read. I don't think I could handle it in the same manner that they do it, but I love this idea.

 I found a recipe a few weeks back for Pesto Chicken Stuffed Shells on Pintrest and had already tested them and LOVED them. David and I agreed that they needed sauce to keep the shells from drying out, but the stuffing is delicious. Chicken mixed with cream cheese and pesto? Yes please. I did stretch the store bought pesto with my own simple version (olive oil, pressed garlic and basil), but other than that I followed the recipe. I cooked a huge dutch oven of chicken breast, and was able to have quite a bit left over for other meals for my family. I boiled a large pot of water and did the shells in shifts, scooping them out when they were done. We wanted about 3-4 servings (we all have fairly young families), so I did about 12-15 shells in each one.
Add caption
    I used 3 jars of store bought sauce only because I had too many dishes in the sink at this point to mix up my own. We like a little alfredo with ours, so I did a big scoop in each tray of that too, and topped with parmesan.
  Here they are all wrapped up and ready to go! I used cheap Walmart disposable trays, so they were NOT very strong. I even made an extra tray of shells for my family.

  We have decided to organize a group and do this at least once a month. This recipe was rather labor intensive- I think I was working, on my feet, for at least 2 hours- but others wouldn't be as bad. Maybe Spaghetti Pie? or a Tamale Pie or a Taco Soup? We each included our recipes and directions for reheating. I am happy to have a stocked freezer in preparation for this new baby.

   Oh, and I think it would be totally worth it to invest in the 6 square Pyrex dishes that we just switch around.

1 comment:

Lori Lou said...

I have been doing a frozen dinner group for the past 5 or 6 years. I love the pyrex 11x7 glass pan (no handle). We do just pass them around. It works out great. If you ever want some recipes you should email me. Good luck with your new little one.