My mom has had this chair since my sister were babies- nearly 30 years. It's a small swivel rocker, and just what I wanted for my nursery. I wish I had a picture of it next to David's La-z-boy- it looks like a midget! It really is small, but will be perfect for rocking a baby to sleep.
For it's age, the upholstery is in really great shape. No holes or tears or stains- I just really didn't care for the color. And since I am overhauling the rest of the nursery, why not take on one more project? Famous last words. Anyways.... I really wanted a soft neutral color, but got bored searching and ended up with this light purple. I had no idea where to even begin! I searched the internet high and low for tutorials, but nothing was quite right. I had to just use what I could find and make it work for this chair. I didn't want to tear the upholstery off and piece it all back together with staples and what not- yikes. I liked the idea of a slipcover that could be removed and washed if necessary. So I started.
Man was it a pain! I made a pattern of sorts for most of the pieces, but it didn't work for all of it. The gathers on the back gave me lots of trouble- I think I did each side 2-3 times before I decided 'good-enough' would do. As it started to come together more, it really was trying to fit it on inside out to pin, then sew, then fit it on right side out to test the seams. Lots of pinning and trimming and sewing and seam ripping...
After far too many hours of work, I finished it today!
I don't think it photographs as nice as it looks in real life... I am really happy with the results though, but would like to never make another slipcover again. I think that if I could have ordered one for $50, I would have done it in a heartbeat (I spent close to $40 on the 4 yards of material).
It was a learning experience, it tested and improved my skills, and most importantly, it's fits fabulously in my pretty nursery. More to come of the nursery!



5 comments:
Looks great to me!
So brave! I've never attempted anything that tough before - good job!
Wow, that is brave! I would be hard pressed to try it myself. But, by golly, yours turned out great. I'm totally impressed by what you accomplish, Missy!
That's awesome! Great Job.
I've never cared for slip covers because...yeah, they SLIP like crazy and end up looking like a sheet draped over your furniture, but one that's custom made to fit that snug? Pretty dang legit! Looks nice!
Post a Comment