Friday, May 3, 2013

Infant Swim Resource, ISR



One of the moms from Jenna's school is a swim instructor. I started reading up on the program she teaches, and was very intrigued  I found some video's from their website and forwarded them to Dave at work. He was amazed and encouraged me to get Megan enrolled. This was shortly after the two of us had taken the kids swimming. Two adults with three non-swimmers was tough! Jenna is getting stronger and more confident, and I'm sure with practice, will be swimming well before the end of the summer, but we know we needed to safe-guard our Megan. She's fearless!

I drive her 15 minutes to have a 10 minute lesson every morning. We just finished week 4 and she's making amazing progress. I was blown away to see her swim, actually swim on her second day in the water.

Apparently, The ISR approach can be controversial. I can't figure out why other than those that teach different methods don't like competition. Megan is safe the entire time. Her instructor is AMAZING and is somewhat of a baby-whisperer. She knows when Megan needs to burp and if she ate something that has her not feeling well. She can tell when she's teething and every tip that she's given us has helped Megan be more successful the next day for her lesson.

I've been taking Adam and Jenna to another pool for lessons 2 afternoons a week. Jenna loves it! She loves the interaction with the boys in her class, and she loves to please her instructor. She's getting stronger and gaining confidence, which is just what she needs. Adam's been miserable. He cries for most of the 30 minutes, HATES getting his face under and refuses to float. It's tough to watch. I paid for the month, but once we finished April, I pulled him out. He'll be starting ISR on Monday, and he's very excited. He's talked to Megan's teacher, Ms. Traci, and has watched many of her lessons. Once Megan quit crying (about week 3), he's been excited to cheer her on. 

I can't wait to post on Adam's success. 

This was Megan after today's lesson. She was smiling and giggling in the water today. It was adorable! We can't get enough of our water baby! She's not done yet, but her skills are AMAZING!

5 comments:

Leah said...

Super cool. The only thing I've ever heard against ISR is fear of excessive aspiration -- if little ones somehow can't cough up what they breathe in, they are more likely to have issues with asthma later. But, yeah, drowning is obviously a *huge* problem! Glad it worked so well for you guys!

The McLemore's said...

we're going to try for next summer :( I wish it wasn't so expensive. I have nightmares often about the babies drowning. So glad Megan is swimming, going to have to say though the video of her face under the water put me in tears - I find it ABSOLUTELY terrifying!

The Wilker Family said...

This is the first summer I've heard of this and other survival swim classes for little ones. Seriously looks awesome! If we still lived in AZ I would do it for Abby but my kids are barely around pools here which unfortunately means that Preston is a poor swimmer. We've done traditional swim lessons with him a couple times but it's still not great
I guess that's what happens when you don't live in the desert!

The Wilker Family said...

This is the first summer I've heard of this and other survival swim classes for little ones. Seriously looks awesome! If we still lived in AZ I would do it for Abby but my kids are barely around pools here which unfortunately means that Preston is a poor swimmer. We've done traditional swim lessons with him a couple times but it's still not great
I guess that's what happens when you don't live in the desert!

Jim said...

Glad she is smiling now, she is so precious. Good luck to Adam, hope he does well in his lessons. Keep in there. Love to all.