Thursday, July 10, 2014

The Fourth Birth Story



Baby número four had a due date of July 14. I had finally settled on being induced on July 7th, at the 39 week mark. I hadn't made plans for that week just before, but we still had summer planned for my 37th week. I had an appointment on Thursday (6/26) afternoon, and the nurse didn't do well at checking me. It hurt a lot and I asked her to stop before she was really able to see if I was dilated. I also knew that my doctor was out of town until the 7th (and my very favorite girlfriend), so I just decided to give up and accept that baby would come then. The house was cleaned, we finished up swim lessons for all the kids, and by Friday we were all pooped. I joked with Dave that we had nothing else planned. He had been reminding me all week that he was ready to start paternity leave and would be happy if that could start sooner. Ha! 



We asked the kids what we should do for our Saturday (June 28th) and agreed upon a few things. Dave was set to drop the van off to be detailed, and the kids and I would swing by the library and pick him up before a Costco run (with lots of samples and frozen yogurt). Megan was a terror at the library and I struggled to contain her as I paid our fines and checked out. We got Dave and headed to Costco. Jenna and I went to the bathroom, while the others went to see if there was pumpkin pie. I realized I was bleeding in the bathroom. I have never ever had even the littlest bit of spotting during any of my pregnancies. Ever. So obviously I was alarmed. I didn't want to freak the kids out so I tried to be calm and find Dave. Of course, they weren't easy to find. It was probably the longest 5 minutes I've had in a long time. I started to lose it as I told him and he suggested we leave right there. Adam was not happy about walking out of Costco with nothing, but the entire way to the hospital Jenna was telling him that we needed to take care of mom. I started to freak out about what to do with the kids. I'm not kidding when I say that ALL of our closest family friends from our neighborhood are out of town. Dave dropped me off and just decided to drive the 25 minutes to his sisters house. 

So there I was all by myself to get checked in. It took a while to get checked in (apparently paperwork is really important) and I headed to triage about the time Dave texted to say he was headed back. They hooked me up to the monitor to confirm that baby was okay, and he was. Phew! I was still obviously concerned about the bleeding and that I wasn't having contractions. My sister sent me a text asking how I was and just to tell me she was thinking about me- totally out of the blue. I gave her a quick update, but was also losing power on my phone. Dave came in with a diet coke and peanut m&ms (true love, I tell ya) just about when the nurse came to check out my cervix. Never a comfortable occurrence, but I was super anxious to see what was going on and if I needed to let my mom and sister know to get in the car and head to Tucson. Surprise, surprise- I was dilated to a 5. Huge shock to me since I didn't feel many contractions in the last few days. What were they going to do with me? I wasn't yet at 38 weeks even and not 'in labor' and heaven help us, I hadn't packed a bag! I was not planning to have a baby today. She checked with the doctor on call and we waited for word. Given my history (Adam coming so quickly, and thus being sick) I was really nervous that they would send me home and then when labor did start it would all go too quickly. I was relieved when the nurse said the doctor gave the thumbs up to admit me and get things going. They had my IV in and antibiotics going within an hour (for strepB) and my mom and sister were on the road to Tucson to stay with the kids.

I sent Dave home with a list to pack our bag while I was moved to labor and delivery. He got back and we tried to figure out the logistics of the next few hours and days. Our van needed to be picked up from the car wash and we needed to get our kids back from across town up to our house with my mom and sister (along with her two youngest kids). By the time my mom and sister (Sarah) got to Tucson we had made a plan. Dave and Sarah drove over to the carwash, then brought both cars back to the hospital. Sarah and Mom would stay and visit with me while Dave drove Sarah's two kids to get our three kids, and then come back and Sarah would take them all home for dinner and bed. Phew- seems complicated, huh? Anyways, while they were gone and it was just my mom and I, I got my epidural. Shortly there after my water broke- all on it's own. I kinda panicked again that we didn't have the hour for Dave to make it back and started making calls. He had already headed that way so we stuck with the plan. Sarah and Mom entertained me for the hour and we talked to the doctor some more and she got me in to some interesting positions to get baby moving down. Again, fun fun. 

By the time Dave got back and Sarah headed home, I was at a seven and progressing nicely all on my own. Quite the change from not being in labor just a few hours before! It wasn't another hour that she checked and said I could push. Let me tell you something about giving birth- it's not something one gets use to. I was kind of a wreck, giggling one second and tearing up the next. The doctor and nurses thought I was ridiculous, but David and my mom agreed that this is how I always act. Here's the deal-- A) It's all so embarrassing. Your 'goods' are all up in the air and everyone is looking and touching. Super weird. Stuff is coming out of you and you just aren't in control of much at all. Zero Fun. B) It's painful. Yes, even with an epidural, you still feel pressure and soreness. They're asking you to move this way and that way... blah. C) It's a hugely emotional process. Maybe more so this time than last (scheduled induction) since I really wasn't planning to have a baby that day. The idea that right now your pregnant and uncomfortable, but before long you're going to have a tiny little person to care for AND be uncomfortable. D) Maybe I can't remember what 'D' was suppose to be, but again, delivering a baby is not something you do everyday. It's just weird. 


So here we are, it being time to push a baby out. Everyone seems to be shouting at me about just how to do this weird thing, and I'm laughing and covering my face. I peek out at my sweet husband and he reassures me that I'm doing well. It feels like it's taking forever, but it's only been 10 minutes. Then I start to cry and laugh to keep from crying more. I push and tell everyone in the room that I don't want a slimy baby on me- PLEASE clean that adorable tiny person off before I want to cuddle him. A couple more awkward pushes, and he's here. It's only 6:30 pm, and I walked into triage at about 11 am. 

(The camera ended up in the bag, but it's battery was dead, naturally. I'm trying to get all the pics from our phones and off the iPad)



I have four kids. FOUR kids. Sheesh, how the heck did this happen?! What were we thinking?! (Kidding, mostly.)


Lucas Jeffrey weighed in at 7 pounds, 11 ounces- only a tiny bit smaller than our Jenna was. How could he possibly be 2 weeks early and be so big? 




They cleaned him up and I got to see this person that I wasn't planning on meeting today. Such a handsome fella, I tell you!

After an hour or so, Dave drove my mom home and came back with some dinner for the two of us. Lucas seemed to get the hang of nursing quite quickly. 




We facetimed with the kids and promised to see them in the morning before they were whisked off to Phoenix to spend two days at grandma and grandpas with cousins.

Dave and I prepared for a fun 'first' night.... Hospital sleeping is a joke, by the way. I hate those beds and it's impossible to scoop babe up from his little bassinet without getting mostly out of bed. Boo. Lucas was great and very patient for such a young one.

Kids came in the morning and it was obviously Jenna who was most excited to see the baby. Megan pushed every button she could fine and Adam tried his best to be patient, until I just gave him my iPad. 

(Wish it wasn't fuzzy)





(First pic of our new family of SIX)


Dave's parents came to visit Sunday on their way back into town from vacation. Uncle Jeff also came by, and we all had a great visit cuddling Lucas.

The three of us finally got the okay to head home Monday morning. It was super weird to come home to a quiet house, but nice to be able to rest for another day and a half until the kids came home. 

And there you have it-- Lucas' grand entrance to the world and our family. We really like him and I'm not as deliriously exhausted as I thought. Tired, yes, but it's manageable. Dave's paternity leave is almost over, so we'll see how Monday goes without him around to do all the work. 


I've got more pictures to post... Give me some time. 

5 comments:

Leah said...

I feel like I just had a baby all over again. The weirdness of it all is so right on. This wild, ridiculous, painful thing is happening to your body without your consent, and every Tom, Dick, and Harry is standing around telling you how to control the uncontrollable while you are naked, writhing, and gushing in a bucket. FUN TIMES!

Oh, but he is sweet. And that does count. Good job getting him here. :)

sb said...

This was a good rrad; thanks for humoring me. :) And a big welcome to Lucas! You gave a very good description of the general birth experience all around. And totally true about sleeping in the hospital. It doesn't happen. I generally just resort to keeping the baby in bed with me. Not very restful either, but better than getting up.

sb said...

*read*

The Wilker Family said...

Thanks for sharing! I love reading other's experiences because every one is unique! You surviving FOUR gives me hope to be able to endure three!!

Stephen, Britney, Ellie, Lila, Andrew, & Marcus said...

Congratulations! I'm so glad it all went well. He is adorable. Hugs, Britney