Thursday, September 18, 2014

Back to School!


 Thursday, July 31st marked the first day of 2nd grade and Kindergarten for these cute kids!




Jenna was very excited to see and socialize with her friends again. Dave stayed home with the littles on the first day, so I was able to walk them both in. Jenna ran off with some friends so I was able to stay with Adam.






Adam was not as apprehensive as I feared he might be. Not a tear! I was also worried about his thoughts on wearing 'school clothes', but he doesn't complain.




Jenna's teacher is Mrs. Tate and she's pretty much the best teacher in the world. She was a lawyer for many years before deciding to become a teacher. She is ultra organized and her love of children and teaching is evident in everything she does. Jenna is raving about her daily. 

Adam's assigned teach was Mrs. Knapp. She quit after the first day. Seriously. BUT she was replaced within a week with Mrs. Ethridge (who is the mother of 10, seasoned home-schooling mom, and was set to be the gifted teacher this year). Mrs. Ethridge is adorable and loving and the perfect fit for our Adam. He talks about her everyday and I even got called 'Mrs. Ethridge' once at dinner time.


I considered just putting them both at our neighborhood school this year. It's a good school and buses would make my life LOADS easier. BUT I just couldn't get behind the idea 100%. We have been more than happy with the academics at Legacy Traditional, and it's nice that we have a large group of friends from the ward/neighborhood to carpool with. I worked it out so I do most of the morning driving as to avoid interrupting nap time. I think carpool and riding with friends might be one of their favorite parts.


Because Adam can already read, homework has not been near the struggle it was for our previous kindergarten. When people ask how he likes kindergarten, my immediate answer is that I think he's unimpressed. Since he's been obsessed with numbers and letters for so long, most of what he's learning is stuff he already knows, or is familiar with. Thankfully, he's still interested and happy to get dressed and go each morning.



Jenna has gotten every single one of her 30 spelling words correct each week on all of the first 6 spelling test. She's loving second grade and I'm always impressed with what she's learning. She is a social butterfly and is often telling us about different ones of her friends. Jenna is wonderful at getting her homework done without any struggle as well, which I am eternally grateful for. I had huge amounts of anxiety about having a newborn, a 2 yo PLUS two kids to fight with homework about. She was introduced to Junie B. Jones books, and while they are a little below her reading level, she is LOVING them. Easily blowing through the stories in one afternoon/evening. She particularly likes reading with her dad because he laughs along with her to all of Junie B's antics. Dave and I laugh because we have had to say such phrases as, "Jenna, no reading at the dinner table" or "Time to STOP reading and get in the bath". 

I loving having big kids in school!

2 comments:

Leah said...

Yay for smart kids. I think that homework is parental torture, and I'm with you -- SO grateful to have two kids who actually LIKE it. Makes all the difference!

Jim said...

My parents had to continually tell me to stop reading and do something else. glad she loves to read.