
I reluctantly borrowed Breaking Dawn from my sister Katee over the holiday weekend (reluctant for me because if you remember from before, I wasn't the biggest fan, and reluctant for her because she was reading it for the 3rd time!). It took me over 1 week to read it because it is really ridiculously long. I don't want to be a spoiler for anyone.... but it didn't all work out the way that I had secretly hoped.
STOP READING NOW IF YOU HAVE YET TO READ IT AND PLAN TO
I WARNED YOU!!!
I WARNED YOU!!!
I think I'll make a list of what I didn't like.
-it was really long, but I already said that-I really didn't want Bella to become a vampire
-I was waiting for a big, blow-out fight, and nothing! Those bad guys are going to come back,
and just cause more trouble for the Cullen's
-I honestly do not know how to say that kids name- I tried just blending Renee and Esme, but
it's just a dumb name... am I right?
Okay, as I was making the above list, I thought of things that I did like.
-I absolutely adore Jacobs loyalty. It was really neat reading the entire middle section ofthe book from his perspective.
-The Cullen's car collection. Whenever I would read about one of the fancy cars, I would turn to David, and his expression would convey that they truly did drive the nicest of nice cars.
-The mother and father figure that were Esme and Carlisle
-Bella was a really good, protective mother
-The idea that because vampires don't need sleep, they could spend all night doing other things
-Meeting all the different vampires around the world, and how so many of them were willing to stand up for their friends that they hardly knew
-ALICE!!!! She is totally my favorite! I knew all along that she left for a reason... I love how she filled Bella's closet with only sexy clothes, and packed her bags for the honeymoon with all sorts of slinky things
My biggest complaint I have decided is with the entire concept of immortality. Savana posted a blog about being together forever, and how with the blessings of the gospel, we get to be with our one and only forever, just as Bella and Edward get to be. I have a hard time supporting and understanding Bella's desire to give up life and living. I love life! The idea of not having children (while with Renesmee, now it's not an issue) and just walking away from that possibility was entirely unrelateable to me. Reading a book is much more enjoyable when you can relate to the main character in even the smallest way. I didn't feel that for Bella until she had the baby. The way that she would do anything to protect her, the way that she would take her home to put her in her own bed at night, the way she was worried about handing her over to all these new people, the way she wanted her dad to know her, the way she loved Edward even more by watching him with her- THOSE are things I can finally relate to!
9 comments:
I have Twilight... I have yet to start it, but when i do I will let you know what I think.
I did like the book but I was a little disappointed with some things. I wish that she would have just ended it with eclipse and added another chapter to close it off. I felt like she had gotten a lot of suggestions on what to write in the book and she wanted to please everyone so she jammed as much in it as she could. I am a little overly opinionated though :)
I recently finished too it and thought...bleh.
I agree the kids name sucked!!! Oh and Jacob imprinting on the baby, don't get me started I was MAD!! I liked it but I always liked it. But it could have been better. I like the 1st book the best. I can't wait for the movie!! Of course baby Robbie will be coming.
I just finished Breaking Dawn as well! It started out kinda slow for me, but then I was done with it before I knew it. I actually always wanted Bella to be with Edward, so I liked that part. There sure were some weird spots in the book though. My favorite part was when she was pregnant with the little "nudger" :) (probably cause I'm prego and Ethan moves all the time and I love it, even if it makes me sore). Ha! I love your blog Heather, you crack me up! :)
I was not bother by the imprinting- we had seen it before with the other werewolves- even with young kids. I kinda predicted it too...
I did want them to be together, but I just couldn't relate to her wanting to give up living for him- I guess just too dramatic for me.
Heather I do agree with you that it is really long, but I always wanted Bella to be with Edward so I liked the ending. I also agree with the fact that the baby's name is just stupid, Plus I wanted her to have her little Edward Jacob.
I agree with you. I liked (not loved) the first 3 books, but just couldn't get into the last one. I have a fundamental problem with "falling" in love and doing whatever needed to be with that one person. Idiot human beings have been doing that for eons and I still see that happen every day. Of course, love stories where the girl (and guy) love each other passionately, but still make sensible choices for themselves and their posterity wouldn't sell as well as these books have. I didn't want Bella to become a vampire. I was looking for the happy ending without resorting to that.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't totally in love with these books. I read them for "fun" but there was so much that really irriated me about them that at times I wasn't even enjoying them. IN the end I feel pretty nutral about them- I didn't love them but I don't hate them either, I just feel kinda-blah.
Post a Comment