Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Time Out

I wanted to blog- the kid and I got up too early this morning to take Dave to work (car in the shop). She is now laying down, and I have yet to get the motivation to shower and start my day. I couldn't think of anything to blog, and then I remember Friday night. Time Out for Couples was in Phoenix, and David and I were able to attend. It was an enjoyable evening in a much too cold auditorium- but nothing earth shattering for either one of us. We talk often about our marriage- what's working, what's not working, what we each can work at- and so it felt a bit repetitive to us "pro's" (he he). The key idea of the night, was that marital problems stem from selfishness. If you are most concerned about what you need to do to take care of you, your marriage will be effected. As a partner in a marriage, you need to be constantly evaluating yourself as a spouse and working to improve. Dave makes the comment all the time that if he is working to make and keep me happy, he can be happy. Seems pretty simple right? While I understand this is not the 'cure all' for everyone, I do see it's value in my marriage. I want to be happy, but I want Dave to be happy more. Haven't you noticed that when you are unhappy, life kinda stinks? But when you choose to be happy, everything seems more manageable, right? My advice is to talk often with your spouse. Understand the differences between men and women. Pray together. All the nights events were great! Peter Breinholt performed, and was awesome! I am considering buying his CD for me, and to give as gifts. The Reflections of Christ photographer Mark Mabry also spoke and shared some great stories about his life and events that happened during the photo shoots. Overall, it was a fun night. We probably won't go next year, but maybe in a few years we will go again. It was a fun date. Check to see if they are in your area next year!

No comments: