upon decorating this year for christmas, i discovered one thing-
I DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH DECORATIONS!
so i am on the prowl for ideas. cheap ideas. okay, more like
next-to-free ideas on how to make my house more christmas-ee.
i am normally not one to decorate much. i don't like storing
seasonal decorations, be it for spring, summer, fall or winter.
i don't like the set up and i REALLY don't like the clean up.
especially christmas- the clean up/clear out of christmas stuff
always depresses me. but this year, with an oh-soo-wide-eyed 14-month-old,
there is nothing i want more than to see the reflection of decorations in her eyes.
the noise she makes when she sees the store displays or the neighbors christmas
lights is the greatest sound i have ever heard.
serious. i'm sure the other mom's out there can relate.
i am just so excited to see christmas through her eyes, and i just know it
will only get better over the next few years.
i am headed to joann's today to get the necessary supplies to make this (using a coupon).
i am also kicking myself for not buying all that christmas-ee stuff last january, but i'm sure
dave would have noticed two large red tubs, filled to the brim, squished in our tiny apartment
and then in the moving truck. i was trying to be practical, blah blah.
so-- i am going to begin collecting.
i will make (buy) a few cute things in the next few weeks,
and will skower the clearance shelves come january. i will limit myself to ONE large tub
of christmas stuff, and remind myself/husband that it is 'for the children', because next year
*believe it or not*
the oh-so-wide-eyed 14-month-old will be the ever-curious-chatter-box of 2+ and will
be more than happy to teach her 7-month-old brother/sister all about christmas.
I simply cannot wait, but I will.
I DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH DECORATIONS!
so i am on the prowl for ideas. cheap ideas. okay, more like
next-to-free ideas on how to make my house more christmas-ee.
i am normally not one to decorate much. i don't like storing
seasonal decorations, be it for spring, summer, fall or winter.
i don't like the set up and i REALLY don't like the clean up.
especially christmas- the clean up/clear out of christmas stuff
always depresses me. but this year, with an oh-soo-wide-eyed 14-month-old,
there is nothing i want more than to see the reflection of decorations in her eyes.
the noise she makes when she sees the store displays or the neighbors christmas
lights is the greatest sound i have ever heard.
serious. i'm sure the other mom's out there can relate.
i am just so excited to see christmas through her eyes, and i just know it
will only get better over the next few years.
i am headed to joann's today to get the necessary supplies to make this (using a coupon).
i am also kicking myself for not buying all that christmas-ee stuff last january, but i'm sure
dave would have noticed two large red tubs, filled to the brim, squished in our tiny apartment
and then in the moving truck. i was trying to be practical, blah blah.
so-- i am going to begin collecting.
i will make (buy) a few cute things in the next few weeks,
and will skower the clearance shelves come january. i will limit myself to ONE large tub
of christmas stuff, and remind myself/husband that it is 'for the children', because next year
*believe it or not*
the oh-so-wide-eyed 14-month-old will be the ever-curious-chatter-box of 2+ and will
be more than happy to teach her 7-month-old brother/sister all about christmas.
I simply cannot wait, but I will.
6 comments:
We started with one tub. Now it's an overflowing two. Put up a string and hang up your Christmas Cards. Maybe make some colorful pictures and hang them too. Pick a color scheme so it looks nicer. I made lots of things from hand tracings or handprints. Try green paint and Jenna's hand prints to make a wreath. Be sure to laminate it after! Good luck!
I can't wait for my craft party, all the Christmas Decorations get me so excited! You have to do lights on the house or inside. There is something about walking the dogs around the neighborhood and seeing christmas lights that just makes me so happy! I love that from the top of the stairs I can see the lights from the Christmas tree. It is so fun to decorate and it really gets you into the spirit of the season!
We're up to 5 tubs. I need to do some serious cleaning out. Everything is "sentimental" so I hate to throw it away. But I'm willing to GIVE it away. Interested? I'll send you a list and/or pix.
As for ideas: Wrap 24 Christmas themed books. Unwrap one each day. Cheap and easy advent calendar. We always read "The Night Before Christmas" and the scriptures on Christmas Eve.
I haven't even bought tubs we have 3 cardboard boxes. Rich is already teaching Abby about the tree and the fact that you don't play with it. If you wait we can go buy red and green tubs together in January when they go on sale.
After-Christmas sales are great. Last year I bought two HUGE pine garlands with berries and such on them. Normally $40, I got them 90% off for $3. Still haven't put them up because--well can a home look TOO decorated? Anyway on top of the freezer in the garage they sit in plastic bags. Glad to see you making the light garlands. I made mine for this year and the lights keep shorting out even tho' I turned them on to check if they worked before I started tying. UGH! It wouldn't be the first one I took apart and tied again--that is the only bad part. Was shocked to see that David's sister is married to a guy from my home town. Small world. Leave a comment on my blog if you need help w/ your project. Good luck!
totally agree. Benjamin is already so excited about santa and the lights and the tree. I love it. I want to decorate just for him, but I like it too.
Post a Comment