Sunday, February 22, 2009

my saturday surprise

dave shaved today. for what seemed like the last 2 months- he's had a beard. one of the kids in our ward said he looked like ben hur (see picture below), which dave loved.


don't get me wrong, i enjoyed the change at first, but after a while it got old- and let's face it, a little scratchy. it all began as a vacation beard. a few weeks back i mentioned being 'over the beard' and was simply told that i was 'not the boss of his face'. (yeap, that's what he said.) in case you are not a regular reader, i love my husband. i love my husband all the way. i love him so much, that i dropped the subject of shaving the beard. okay, i dropped the subject for about a week. i went an entire week without mentioning it, and then would only bring it up briefly to remind him of how i felt.
we were both getting ready to go out tonight to meet some friends for dinner. i was ready, so i took jenna down to get dinner started and clean up before the sitter arrived. dave came down about 20 minutes later WITHOUT a beard! it took me a minute to figure it out- i had really gotten use to looking at him with a beard. i kissed him in thanks and then he tried to talk to jenna. she just stared at him. she was sitting on the floor playing, and as he got closer, she inched away. she just stared at him as he spoke to her, and began to tear up a little and reach for me. we both took turns explaining to her that daddy beard was 'all gone' and i let her see me kiss him and then we had her feel his smooth face. it was kinda funny, but it took about 10 minutes before she finally called him 'daddy' and let him pick her up. she finally said, 'beard' and 'all gone'. sooo funny!
i will post pictures soon of jenna's dad without his 'cool', 'ben hur' beard.

5 comments:

Karen Scott Welker said...

This made me laugh. Jason knows he is the "boss of his face." But I am the boss of my kisses, and he don't get any when he's got icky, scratchy, nasty whiskers. Yes, I guess I do have strong feelings about facial hair. Yay, Dave, for cleaning up!

John and Becky Bowler said...

That's really funny about your daughter not recognizing Dave. :)

Susan said...

Oh funny! Dave and I have the facial hair conversation almost EVERY DAY! He cheered when we read, "the boss of his face" :) However, I like Karen's reply about being the boss of my kisses! ...if only I could resist kissing his hairy face!

Heather (wife, mom) said...

Susan, that is my exact problem too! I cannot resist his face however it comes. I tried not kissing, but that didn't last for more than a day. I'm glad that he did it for me and doesn't regret it. There will surely be other beards in our future...

Brooke said...

my guess is that he'll last until the next "vacation beard" again - too cute that it threw Jenna for a loop!