I have a very lax attitude about potty training. Around her second birthday last fall, she was excited to use the potty. She would jump and cheer and tell me that she needed to go. That lasted for maybe 2 weeks. The 4-5 months following her birthday, she couldn’t have cared less about using the potty. The last month or so, I’ve been taking a much more active part in her potty training. We’ve set the timer and used the potty every hour. She’s been doing great- even a few days of panty wearing. But really, that’s not ‘training’ her to know when she has to go, that’s just training her to go when I put her on the potty. She told her nursery leaders 2x’s on Sunday that she needed to go, and she went- in the potty. At home, sometimes she tells me before, but most of the time she tells me immediately AFTER she goes in her diaper/pull up. Lovely.
Yesterday, after an accident in her diaper, the number 2 kind, she says:
“Mom, the poo poo’s are hard to get in the potty. They keep getting stuck in my bottom.”
Nice.
Today, she alerted me that she just used her diaper, but only number 1. Here’s our exchange while changing:
“Jenna, why didn’t you tell me before?”
“I don’t know mom. I just forgot. I’m sorry. Can I use the potty now?”
“Sure” {Put her on the potty}
“Um, mom? It’s already all in my diaper.”
I have adopted the philosophy that she will do it when she is ready. I will keep asking on occasion, and putting her on the potty every so often, but if I have learned anything it is that I cannot force her to potty train. That is, unless she’s four and still wearing diapers. Then I will force her. ;)
6 comments:
Whenever you're ready, I highly recommend the 3 day method. Sadie was not interested in the potty AT ALL (even with the promise of candy, treats, and any Dora toy she wanted in exchange for one little tinkle). Then I decided to do the 3 day method, throw out all the pull ups cold turkey and it totally worked! It took her about a day to catch on, and then from there we haven't had any (ok, maybe 1 or 2 in a year) accidents.
Good luck with whatever you decide on this fun adventure!
I totally agree with your philosophy!! Those comments are so funny from Jenna! Priceless!
Don't sweat it! Adelle did the same thing. She begged to start before she was two, and I wanted to go cold turkey, but she was just too young to be able to read the signal AND hold it long enough. I got pull-ups to keep the enthusiasm alive, but for months she always told me after the fact. I just let it ride. Even after she started to get the hang of it, she lost interest for a week or so. I started making a big to-do about when she DID use the potty, ignored the rest -- it helped a lot! When it was clear that she COULD go if whe WANTED to (poo was a little later clicking), I stopped buying pull-ups. One accident and we were done!
We've tried everything with Ethan...he does the same thing she does...goes in his diaper and then tells us...I don't think it's an Ethan problem though...he probably thinks he's doing the right thing. Oh well...Sam has to deal with it mostly...haha_A
I for one am very impressed by that sweet girl, and it will come in time. We have just embarked on this thing as well and are dealing with the same thing. I think you have a good approach.
I TOTALLY agree with Jeff and Elise! I tarted Justin (only 2 and a half) just this past week using the 3 day method and it has been AMAZING!! I though, "3 days... yeah right!!" But it was LITERALLY 3 days and he was trained! I kid you not. He is even staying dry all night long. Let me know if you want to take a look at the 3 day method and I can send the ebook your way. =)
Post a Comment