Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Plan of Salvation

    I recently had a beautiful conversation with my four-year-old about the Plan of Salvation.

   After dinner the other night, David called to check on his grandfather who's been in the hospital since late last week. The update was not good. Grandpa Bud will likely not recover, and we got the impression that he was fading fast. David went to catch the tail-end of visiting hours. Of course, I'm hormonal and nearly anything can make me cry, but I just wasn't prepared to lose Grandpa. David's Grandma (Bud's wife) died just a month before we had Adam. That was an emotional experience because I had been around Grandma often for the last 2 years of her life. Grandpa Bud has been a part of our lives now for nearly 5 years.

   I had gotten the kids out of the bath, into pajamas and read them bedtime stories when we started talking about what to include in our prayers. I asked Jenn if she wanted to pray and she said no, but reminded me to pray for Grandpa Bud to feel better. I teared up. I told her that Grandpa's body was weak and that it probably wouldn't be getting better. I then asked her if she knew where Grandpa's spirit would go when it left his body- to which she answered correctly with, "to be with Heavenly Father". I told her that she probably didn't remember, but Grandma Madeline, Grandpa's sweetheart, went to live with Heavenly Father a few years ago, and he would get to be with her again. She smiled and I started to cry. She very seriously asked me why I was crying, and said, "I've never seen you cry, mom." I told her that I was happy that Grandpa Bud would be with his sweetheart again, but that I would miss him and that I knew that Dad and Grandpa and Grandma would be sad too. She seemed confused, so I tried to regain my composure and tell her that because of the gospel, we knew what comes after our earth life. Jenna wanted to know if we would see Grandpa Bud again, after he went to the spirit world, and I was able to tell her with certainty, that we would. Such a great feeling to KNOW and be able to testify of that knowledge to my sweet girl.

  
   I am so grateful for this picture that I was inspired to take a couple months ago. Adam looks so little next to these great men, but there they are, four generations of Scott's men.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I'm not a cry-er, but this one got me. I love the way you explained things to Jenna - simple and positive.

Leah said...

Sad and sweet. Good job, Mommy.