Friday, July 20, 2012

Megan's Surgery

Megan had a cyst above her left eye brow and the doctors thought it best to remove it now. So we did it. I had two weeks to freak out about it, so when the day came, I think I was ready- No tears! Oh, and Megan did great to. (I didn't read the 'worst case scenario' page very closely after seeing the words 'DEATH' listed as one of the possible side effects.)
(all patients in the children's ward get a toy- Jenna named Megan's turtle 'Shelby')


We arrived at 6:30am. The little miss wasn't allowed to eat after 3:30am, and since she sleeps through the night (not nursing from about 9pm til 8am) I figured it was best just to scoop her up and go in the morning right out of bed. She was pleasant and smiling at all the nurses until about 7:15. She didn't understand why I wasn't nursing her, and so I sang lots of songs in her ear as we waited for everyone to talk to us. She was crying when they finally took her back just after 7:30.

She was under general anesthesia for just over an hour, and was in no hurry to wake up afterwards. I was anxious to be next to her, but it was hard to see her in the little hospital bed. The nurse and I finally decided to pick her up and see if that helped. She curled up on my shoulder and kept sleeping. I cuddled her for a minute before nursing her. She ate pretty well, but still didn't really wake up.

I got her little dress on and we were out the door by 10:30. Jenna and Adam were curious to see Megan with her bandage. She was sleepy for most of the morning; It was probably about 2pm that she really woke up and seemed alert.

(this was right after she remember that she learned to roll over yesterday)
Dave got this swing and put it up (with help from Jenna) while Megan and I were at the hospital. It was her special gift and she LOVES it! She really enjoys being outside with us so this is perfect.

The doctor said the cyst was a little deeper in the muscle than they anticipated, so there might be a 'divot' above her eye, but it should fill in and look normal. Her eyelid might be droopy for a few days too. I think by Church on Sunday, we'll just stick a Hello Kitty BandAid on there.

I'm so glad it's over with. It might not seem like a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but for us, it was a big deal. Handing your sad and hungry infant over to a doctor and knowing that terrible things could happen to her in the next two hours... nerve wracking. Thankfully, she continued to shine as the sweet girl that she is and handled it like a champ. Hopefully, we can help her incision heal and minimize the scaring.
  
We really appreciate the prayers on behalf of Megan and our family. Thank you for your love and support!



Interesting side story: As we were checking in, I was told the anesthesiologist, Dr. Hughes, would be in to talk to me. I asked what his first name was and when they said it I realized it was who I thought. Shortly after moving to Tucson (nearly 12 years ago) I answered an ad in the Daily Wildcat (the University paper) for a babysitter. I started babysitting little Claire Hughes when she wasn't more than maybe 6-9 months old. Bridgette was a few years younger than Claire and one semester, I was at their house two mornings a week hanging out with both girls. So Dr Hughes and I chatted for a bit (little Claire is 11!) and he took my picture on his iPhone and sent it to his wife Barbara. What a small world, right?! His daughters also go to the school that I'm hoping Jenna gets into.

8 comments:

jason said...

Yay Megan! Glad things went well.

Leah said...

Oh, how great that they gave you a super early appointment! I looove when that happens! So glad she did well. And fun that you ran into someone you knew!

The McLemore's said...

I was waiting for this post to see how things went. I was pretty anxious for your little Megan as well. It's hard to see babies sick and even though you know they are safe it's still scary. Can't believe you didn't cry, I would have been a mess! Love you and love Meggy, she is cute as can be!

Lisa said...

I"m so glad everything went well. It would have been a huge deal for me too. That's a scary to have your sweet little one under general anesthesia at such a young age. Glad it's over and all is well!

Susan said...

She looks blissfully oblivious to what's going on - which is perfect!

Jim said...

Thanks for the update, we have been thinking and praying for her and you! She looks beautiful, bandaid and all.

Camille said...

She's is such a doll. I'm glad everything went well.

John and Becky Bowler said...

She is so sweet. I'm glad she is doing well. :)