Dave told the kids back in the fall that he would take them to Disneyland instead of with us to Hawaii. Tucson schools have off for Rodeo break each February, so we figured it would be a great time to go. We booked a room, bought our tickets and got all geared up!
Our kids didn't have much idea as to what to expect. We've been watching a 'new-to-them' Disney movie each Sunday as a family, and Disney Junior has been successfully brainwashing Megan since the first of the year when we got cable. David hasn't been since he was in High School, and it's been 10 years since I've been as well. Each of the kids got new shirts for the trip (and I was even able to do laundry so they could wear their prized shirts both days) and we were excited!
It was busier than we were hoping, but the crowds were still managable. We are happy to report that we had ZERO meltdowns either day.
We spent all of Thursday (2/20) at Disneyland. We rode the train around the park before Toon Town opened. Roger Rabbit was the first ride, before exploring a few other things.
Megan, Adam and I went to Minnies House while Dave and Jenna went on Gadgets Go-Coaster. Neither of them wanted to wait in the line, and Adam ran to Dave before actually meeting Minnie, but I knew Megan would appreciate her.
Chip and Dales Treehouse was fun- no line!
Everyone loves the Carousels, and those lines move fairly quickly.
We skipped most of Fantasy Land just because it was packed with people and strollers. We didn't want to wait an hour for any of those rides anyways.
Megan fell asleep, so Adam and I pushed her through Innovations while Jenna and Dave road the Autopia. THEN it was mine and Adam's turn. He was very excited!
Gosh, I love this boy! He was so excited watching and waiting for his turn. He really really really wanted a blue car. I tried to convey that to the man once it was our turn and he seemed a little annoyed at accommodating us. Thankfully the stars aligned wonderfully, and a blue car came up and only two people had to go in front of us.
I think I missed taking pictures of all our adventures- Teacups were after lunch and David REFUSED to come with us. Party pooper! We were all the way in adventure land and came back because Adam and Jenna wanted to ride the cups.
Aren't they cute?!
I think everyone but me enjoyed climbing up Tarzans Treehouse- too many stairs for these tired, pregnant legs.
Selfie with my sweets!
On Friday (2/21) we were excited to get to see our cousin/niece Kailee sing with her school choir. She smiled so big when she came out and saw us cheering her on. They sounded wonderful! I think she had tons of fun with her friends, because it was impossible to meet up with her. We were both just running in opposite directions- and then my cell battery died. Oh well.
The line for the big Ferris wheel was too long and in the direct, hot afternoon sun. We loved the view and no one fell out, so it was worth it.
(If you can't tell, we wrestled with Megan a lot! We are always wrestling with her. It's like she's nearly two, or something like that.)
My most favorite part of the entire trip was the Phineas and Ferb Dance Party Parade. We heard the music playing as we walked up, and Adam immediately recognized the songs. All three kids ran to get in on the fun. At first Adam covered his ears because it was loud, but he loosened up quickly.
They were so happy and into it! (I'll try to post a video on another post.)
Megan's favorite part was the Disney Junior Puppet show. It started with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and hit on a few of the other shows that she recognized. Snow fell from the sky, and bubbles and confetti. Jenna and Adam enjoyed it too. David and I just loved watching the giant smiles on her face.
Above is Adam with Dave on the Jelly Fish, and then Jenna got her turn next. Dad got to have all the fun on this one!
Megan and I waited under the promenade over-looking the water and Ferris wheel. She ran away multiple times.
All the kids loved dancing to the music.
Our only family picture from the entire trip.... I love that Jenna is posing, Adam is blurry from wiggling and Megan is sucking her thumb- perfectly typical.
We went back to the carousel so that Jenna could pick her favorite sea creature to ride.
Obviously I didn't get pictures of everything that we were able to do. Dave's favorite was the Dole Whip float (just like in Hawaii) that we ate while waiting for the Jungle Cruise. My favorite was riding Soaring Over California with the kids and watching them dance in the Parade. Jenna's favorite was either Soaring Over California or the Buzz Lightyear Ride. Adam LOVED the new Cars Racers and Buzz Lighyear. Megan enjoyed her Disney Junior Show and exploring a new place.
We had a good trip. BUT David and I are in NO hurry to head back with preschoolers. None. It is so expensive and a TON of work with little kids. We told them that we might come back in 5-6 years... we'll see. It would be more fun with another family to trade off with, taking turns giving the kids time to soak it all up. I really wish we had seen the evening shows, but we were all toast by sundown and wanted to beat the crowds out of the place. For what this quick, two day vacation cost, we could have gone skiing or rented a lake house, which is more up our alley for vacations. So much of the original Disney stuff is kind of scary, and not at all 'cool' to our aged kids (Pirates of the Caribbean is really strange and hard to explain, to name one). The kids are still talking about it, and behaved wonderfully, so we can't complain.
8 comments:
Glad you survived and the kids were good! We have talked multiple times about just what you say at the end - Disney is so expensive! We could go many other places for that cost, and probably will. Who knows if our kids will ever see Disneyland/World?! With flight benefits, quick Europe trips are even at the same price point!
Sounds like a great trip. How cool to see Kailee! I'm with you that Disney in a once a decade trip. It's a lot more fun when the kids are older!
We were the mean parents to our boys and told them Bethany had to be 5 before we went, so they were 9 and 11 by the time we went so missed out on some of the little kid excitement, but they had a good time. Heather was 7 and she and Bethany had a great time. We never went back, just costs way too much. Glad you got to have those memories with your kids.
So fun! Of course money is holding us back from going on a Disney trip but at their ages I'm not sure in would want to right now. I think we would go with grandparents to take turns or just by ourselves for now. I would love to go in a few years and be able to go for multiple days to see everything and enjoy it all. Fingers crossed!
Glad you had a good time. the pictures are priceless and so are the memories.
Nervous! A couple weeks to go for us. I am super glad we are going to have some extra adults, though. Hope my kids are as good as yours were!
I am bummed that I didn't have a chance to meet up with you guy while you were here. I guess it is okay...I will just visit you in AZ in about a month.
So, if you ever do a family ski vacation, can I invite myself to come along?
Post a Comment